98 Tahoe two door

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just picked up a two door Tahoe. 1998 5.7. All good stock. Only thing I found so far is an exhaust leak at the cat. One of them popped a leak. What are my options here any brand in particular. Looking at the flow masters ... and should I do headers? Is it a big difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My two cents are that the performance gains are minimal and largely marketing hype. I suspect you’d need a 25+ horsepower boost to really notice anything, and even then that isn’t that much.

I have a 98 two-door (4x4) that the previous owner installed JBA headers and a Dynomax(?) dual in, single out muffler on. It has 3.73 gears and stock injectors.

I also have a 98 Z71 with true dual exhaust, no name mufflers, generic catalytic converters, stock headers, 3.42 gears and the multiport injector upgrade. After swapping the injectors, the truck has noticeably better throttle response than the Tahoe.

From what I’ve seen, the injectors gave the most bang for the buck. If, in the future, you’re taking the intake off for the gaskets, that’s an ideal time to swap the injectors out.

Others may have better experiences, perhaps some exhaust products and certain combinations are better than others. I’d be interested in hearing what others have found.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dont waste your time and money on headers. If you need to replace the cats or entire assembly then look at the Magnaflow one. I have it on my 98 2 door. Fits perfect. I am also running a Gibson catback setup. Not man companies make catbacks for the 2 doors so its either Gibson or possibly Flowmaster but those just rot out in a few years.

Like mentioned above, look into the upgraded MPFI spider assembly. I put it in mine and it woke my truck right up. Best $300 I ever spent on my truck. If you are going to do that job then I highly suggest doing the lower intake manifold gaskets as well. Also, replace the distributor gear while its out

kv5137

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
[emoji106]