98 Silverado maximum payload question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Nice, and dig the Frito 19.5's on it.. but I can one-up the situation; I drove my old Unimog on a 24 hr trip just to get it home from where I bought it. They're geared super low, too; 59 mph top speed on flat ground. Once you start on an any grade at that speed you begin slowing down so quickly it feels like you're going backwards. :D I spent a lot of time driving with the right signal permanently on like some addled senior citizen (not equipped with 4 way flashers.)

The one advantage being the engine was pretty stout so no worries of it grenading. However, the transmissions will overheat with constant highway use so I had to stop several times along the way. That trip during the summer was brutally hot, too!

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard
Lol, what is that, a 404? I knew a guy that had at least 6 Mogs, all different models. I had a Danish military 461 240 GD Wagen. What a money pit!

Reaction score
This thing is really a glorified car, other than throwing some light stuff in it, it's pretty much useless. I just got back from Home Cheapo and loaded my K30 to the gunnels with bagged topsoil. I love that thing.

Reaction score
I didn't know payload was that low on these trucks. I always thought it was "at least 1,000 lbs." Are you sure about it being less than 1,000 lbs? I'm assuming OP has 2wd, but maybe it's a 4x4 and payload is lower.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1...hUKEwis1NONg-bpAhUDKawKHUzMD_AQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

I once went to pick up some washed sand on my '99 Silverado ECSB 4.3 and forgot how much I usually hauled (1/2 yard.) Well, I told the guy do 1 yard! I was on the truck, so didn't see how much the thing sagged. Rookie mistake, I know. Ridding home I went slow, but felt a little weird. I cringed when I got home! 1 yard of sand is about 2,400-2,600 lbs! I spend the rest of the day shoveling sand, LOL. Mind you, the GMT-800 only have a puny 3 leaf pack vs 4 leaf pack on the GMT-400 1500 series.

Years later I bought my GMT-400 K3500 CCLB for hauling heavy stuff. 1 yard of sand on that truck drops the rear end slightly below level.
Lol, I loaded up my S10 with topsoil using a 330 CAT excavator once. I tried to sprinkle it in the truck but it came out of the bucket like a loaf of bread. I thought I busted it in half.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Lol, what is that, a 404? I knew a guy that had at least 6 Mogs, all different models. I had a Danish military 461 240 GD Wagen. What a money pit!
Yep, '68 or so 404. Was titled as a '73 I think, it's been years, some weird crap to do with import laws. Beats me! That sonofabitch was practically unstoppable; took it on some really crazy trails in BFE TN when I lived there. I mean scary stuff I probably should have scouted first before taking that monster down the path!

Richard