98 K2500 Vortec 454 (7.4L) Oil Filter Adapter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'll be in there anyway to reseal the adapter, worth doing or just skip it?

I resealed mine with a Dorman kit. It does require a 5/16" square drive. I bought an oil plug bit kit with a bunch of weird stuff that had what I needed. Was well worth the effort.

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
O-ring uncompressed is 0.141in thick per my mic, might be a few tenth thicker but pretty much there. It sits loose in the center of a housing groove that is 3.166in ID and 3.602in OD.

You can definitely feel the housing bottom out against the block when you tighten it up so the O-ring is just filling void and making a seal but is mechanically limited against over compression. The old one was the same colour but smashed pretty much flat so pressure was getting past.

I got a "pneumatic tools" square drive kit off of Amazon to have a wide selection of potential square drive bits. Interesting to note that they had factory thread sealer on them so I put that back when I reinstalled.

The oil cooler o-rings where both cut though the top one was still sealing. I took the oil cooler lines out. It might not be the correct way but the plastic caps over the Jiffy-Tite were so brittle there'd be no way to get one of the push in style spreaders without destroying them anyway. I just pulled the covers off with a pick then pulled the clips out with a pick. After they they came loose with a wiggle. Easiest way to get them out of the engine bay is to disconnect the plastic joiner clips from both lines then pull them one at a time out the front after dropping the front air dam/splash guard. Get underneath and scoot them along so the rigid tube sections feed past the block and front axle assembly and don't get snagged. Take a 1 or 1 1/16in socket to get the fittings out of the block. Was so goo crusted that not sure which one was the correct one as the 1in didn't want to bite but the 1 1/16in felt loose. Plug with standard 3/8in pipe plugs. I got mine from Amazon in stainless, make sure to use thread sealer.

Last edited:

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Great info^

I am picking up the dorman parts today as rock auto sent me incorrect parts and the dorman seems to be available at every auto parts store. I plan on using thread sealant too on the drain style plugs.

Helpful video I found in case someone needs a visual for how to and where:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
No leaks. I stuck ear plugs in the fittings on the radiator to keep it somewhat clean in there.

That sounds like it would be effective, as long as you can get them back out without them breaking up into pieces and possibly getting into the oil system. When I got a new radiator, I just left the plastic shipping plugs in place. Part of me wants to hook it back up, part of me like the elimination of chances for another oil leak.

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have noticed it comes up to temperature much faster now without the oil cooler. I count this as a useful thing as it means my more common short drives have a better chance to get the oil temp up to drive the water out. No ill effects driving on a 1.5hr trip today to go pick up a shop press.