98 K2500 Vortec 454 (7.4L) Oil Filter Adapter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Howdy,

So after all the work I did to fix most of the stuff that was wrong or just worn out on my '98 K2500 Surburban and she runs so much better now. However luck would have it that the oil filter adapter starts leaking right after I do all of the work including dropping the exhaust and the front driveshaft.

What size are the square head bolts holding the adapter to the block and does the Dorman kit with all of the O-rings and gaskets have all of the needed parts to reseal the adapter?

Alternatively am I on a hiding to nothing and should just replace it all with a remote mount setup?

Thanks

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
It's just a big o-ring. I bought mine from the dealer. I hear stories of the aftermarket replacement parts not working well, but I think that's mostly small block people.

If I recall correctly, I used a piece of square stock and a Crescent wrench to turn the plugs. I think they're smaller than a 3/8ths extension.

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So now the oil cooler fitting in the radiator seems to be leaking and it felt like it was starting to strip when I tightened it. Saw a mention of these trucks having a disease where you fix something and more stuff breaks just when you feel proud of yourself...

I'm thinking about deleting the cooler till I buy a new radiator. Thanks to this Truck Trend article it looks like I'd have to pull the adapter off anyway to pull the bypass plug out but it's otherwise pretty simple. Seems easily reversible if/when I replace the radiator. I'm fine with the right angle adapter though I guess I'll take a look at how much room there is to go vertical.

CTX-SLPR

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GM O-ring arrived (Made in China...) will be pulling it apart today to replace that and pull the oil cooler lines off if there's weeping at the radiator still

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
GM O-ring arrived (Made in China...) will be pulling it apart today to replace that and pull the oil cooler lines off if there's weeping at the radiator still

You might try measuring it, and then next time ordering from someplace like McMaster-Carr, if it doesn't last.