98 K2500 Suburban won't stay running.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just getting the correct lock cylinder installed or the resistor trick still requires the evo/passlock module to function correctly (probably does / but who knows until you try).
This ^^^ the #1 guaranteed problem at the moment is the incompatible cylinder in the column. If you get one for a 98+ so it has the "chip" in the cylinder, then you can do the relearn process mattillac described earlier - and if the Passlock system is otherwise functional, it will work. If it doesn't, then you can explore other options like having it tuned out of the PCM.

Richard

AyWoSch Motors

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, so I took the key cylinder out of my other 98+ suburban, and put it in this one. I did the relearn trick 3 times, and still nothing.
Attempted start, waited 10 minutes, shut off, attempted start, waited 10 minutes, shut off, attempted start, waited 10 minutes, and still doing what it was doing before.
I watched the security light this time. When I turn the key to the on position. It comes on solid for about 3-5 seconds as all the dash lights come on and go off, then it goes out. Then after I start it and it shuts off, it flashes for a couple seconds then goes out again.
Is that normal?
And should I go buy a new key from the parts store, incase this one is defective?

AyWoSch Motors

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Then those aren't the VIN and title to that truck. 99 was the last year of the 400 Burbs, has nothing to do with the trim level.
I looked up the vin on my bill of sale and checked it to the one on the dash again, and they both came back as 2001, again. Then I thought about what you said, and thought looked a little dirty, so I took a rag and cleaned it, and it turns out the digit for the year wasnt a 1 (2001), it was a T (1996). So that burb is a 96.
Thanks for the tip. Now I gotta call up the auction house and request another bill of sale and maybe this time they'll be able to find the title.

AyWoSch Motors

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okay, so I took the key cylinder out of my other 98+ suburban, and put it in this one. I did the relearn trick 3 times, and still nothing.
Attempted start, waited 10 minutes, shut off, attempted start, waited 10 minutes, shut off, attempted start, waited 10 minutes, and still doing what it was doing before.
I watched the security light this time. When I turn the key to the on position. It comes on solid for about 3-5 seconds as all the dash lights come on and go off, then it goes out. Then after I start it and it shuts off, it flashes for a couple seconds then goes out again.
Is that normal?
And should I go buy a new key from the parts store, incase this one is defective?
Okay, so I just found out that that issue was caused by the key again. The truck I took it out of was a 96 (look at previous message). So I'll just get a new key and see from there.

AyWoSch Motors

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Went out and bought a new key today, specific to a 98. $49 bucks, ouch.
But, it fixed it! Put it in, put the battery back in, and started it, and it stayed running. Yaaay!
Runs really nice and smooth, I'm happy, seems like a good engine. Starts up on a dime, it's great.
Did noticed it blows steam like a train though, and it ate all the coolant I put in it. Obviously needs a head gasket. The oil is staying clean and clear though, so it seems like it's going straight from a coolant passage to the cylinder. Gonna have to fix that.
Put it in gear and putted around the yard though. It moves, but its sluggish. I topped off the fluids, and it seems to ne moving okay, but it acts as if it's in 4low. I put it from 4low, to 2hi, and back and forth a few times, and it acts the same in both.
Project for another day and another thread.
Thank you all for your help, it runs now, I'm happy.