'98 K2500 RCLB 454 NV4500 Daily/Hauler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks, they are Grand Prix needles.

The bearings are fine, it didn't happen until the first test drive after swapping the rear gears, so ill probably just leave it till I get the front swapped.

It depends on which type of axle you have, but if you are able to change your own brakes its not a whole lot more difficult. Hardest thing i guess would be setting the lash position. Lots of instructional videos online on how to do it.

I've got a 14-bolt FF, same as yours.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I've got a 14-bolt FF, same as yours.
Oh right, its a pretty simple process. If you're just swapping gears that are already set up, id start by removing the rear cover and draining fluid. Remove axles by unbolting them from the housing by the drums and sliding them out. Then remove the little retainers for the spacers and back them off. I only loosened the drivers side one, probably spun it 5 revolutions or so. Then remove the 4 bolts that hold the bearing caps in and the ring/center section falls right out. The FF rears have a slightly different setup for pinions, the whole thing is bolted in with a housing and just takes 6 bolts to remove it, and it all comes out together.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
This thing has been a hauling beast lately. Still couldn't be happier with the 4.56s, still a little regretful on the spool. So anyways, I recently discovered a local ish junkyard that has been open for 70 years, but isn't open to the public. I was lucky enough to walk around last fall, and bought a few things. That led to me going back this spring and exploring more of the 30+ acres of hidden gems. In the past several weeks I've worked my way up to buying a full truckload of random parts every time I go. They let me drive into the yard and load up whatever I can find. I've been posting most of it on Marketplace and making some decent $ to keep supporting my automotive habits. Definitely glad to have a full size long bed!
You must be registered for see images attach

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Wish there was more yards like that around here.
Truck looks great! How full of regret are you on the decision to put a spool in the rear?

It just binds up and chirps around corners more than I had anticipated. Another vehicle I have has a welded diff and binds a little but not nearly as bad as this. It basically feels like im driving around in 4x4 on dry pavement all the time. Any time I take off from a stop and make a right turn it chirps the tires and makes the truck hop. Excellent traction for junkyard exploring though!

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I wonder if the OD of the truck tires isn't to blame for the chirping around corners vs your other vehicle?
It must be the tires, because my plow truck diff is welded but that has 265s, and doesn't chirp like that on corners. My little Sidekick also has a welded diff, and being such a short wheelbase I thought if anything that would be the worst especially with 275s on the back, but that one doesn't even make a sound on corners!