'98 K2500 RCLB 454 NV4500 Daily/Hauler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Front diff shouldn't have anything to do with it. It seems a discrepancy between front and rear wheel speeds, gonna need to get the speedo corrected to fix it I imagine.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Front diff shouldn't have anything to do with it. It seems a discrepancy between front and rear wheel speeds, gonna need to get the speedo corrected to fix it I imagine.
I figured that maybe if the ABS module was seeing that the speedo showed ~40mph and the front sensor saw ~30mph that it probably was throwing a code for the sensor range. It clears itself when I shut the truck off and doesn't come back till i start driving. Yes, to get the speedo corrected I'd have to have the ECU tuned again.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not just the speedo, the ABS as well. VSS goes directly into the PCM then is spit back out to things like the radio, speedo, etc.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
I missed where you stated what wheels you're running?

Also what gauge needles?

Nice work dude

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Only other thing is my ABS light comes on whenever I start driving, but im assuming its because I still need to swap the front diff and the module sees a speed discrepancy.

No, one of your front wheel bearings are starting to go out. Pull the ABS fuse before you try a 3-point turn r you'll smash into something. They start showing signs of this during temp changes. You can try to remove the sensors and clean the ends to verify the bearings are still OK. There are adapters you can buy that go into the abs hole to grease the wheel bearings too.

I know this cause I almost obliterated a little Ford ranger when mine started going out. Hit the E-brake just in time. Literally 2 inches from that little truck when I stopped.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How hard is it changing out the carrier for new gears? I've got a lead on a 4.10 carrier out of the junkyard and I was debating between just swapping the carrier versus swapping the entire rear end.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
How hard is it changing out the carrier for new gears? I've got a lead on a 4.10 carrier out of the junkyard and I was debating between just swapping the carrier versus swapping the entire rear end.

The carrier is the diff itself. A who level of asspain way above and beyond shoving the whole housing in there.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
I missed where you stated what wheels you're running?

Also what gauge needles?

Nice work dude
Thanks, they are Grand Prix needles.

No, one of your front wheel bearings are starting to go out. Pull the ABS fuse before you try a 3-point turn r you'll smash into something. They start showing signs of this during temp changes. You can try to remove the sensors and clean the ends to verify the bearings are still OK. There are adapters you can buy that go into the abs hole to grease the wheel bearings too.

I know this cause I almost obliterated a little Ford ranger when mine started going out. Hit the E-brake just in time. Literally 2 inches from that little truck when I stopped.
The bearings are fine, it didn't happen until the first test drive after swapping the rear gears, so ill probably just leave it till I get the front swapped.
It depends on which type of axle you have, but if you are able to change your own brakes its not a whole lot more difficult. Hardest thing i guess would be setting the lash position. Lots of instructional videos online on how to do it.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Just made my first long haul with it, and holy **** what a difference! It towed so much better with a car on the back. Granted it wasn't a super heavy vehicle, but I could notice how much better it did. There used to be places on the Thruway where I had to downshift to 4th to maintain speed and with this recent haul I kept it in 5th the whole time with no struggle. Speedo shows 90, but was really 75. Sat right around 2600rpm there. On a side note, its an 86 Corvette, might turn into a project
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach