98 k2500 cam options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

75lemans

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am putting intake gaskets in my truck right now and have decided to go with a different cam. It is a 5.7 and it will be getting hooker 2462hkr headers and a dual exhaust, either 2.5 or 3, I'm still undecided. I am putting in the mpfi injectors and will do a egr delete too. I have been looking at the lunati voodoo 262/270 roller cam or the SPO 357 cam. Also have been debating a blackbear tune or tuning it myself and was wondering how hard it is to learn how to use hp tuners.

Thanks.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
About halfway down on the first page of my build thread I have a video with me starting my TBI with that cam and open manifolds. The engine was originally in my '99 Suburban with MPFI injectors. I've since put in a 2.5" exhaust and it sounds very nice. It idles good, and has plenty of power for moving my trailer around. Hopefully some time in the next week I'll find out how it does on the road. I did take one spin around the block with the Suburban before taking the engine out, and it hauled plenty well.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/89-stepside-way-cool-jr.46961/

75lemans

Reaction score
Yeah I’ve been watching your thread nice truck dude. It’s actually where I found this lunati cam. How did it run in your suburban? Did you get it tuned? Also I’m waitin for a exhaust video with your exhaust on it lol

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The engine was making a ticking noise when it was in the Suburban, so I yanked it back out, inspected it, and now it's in WCJr. I'd piddled around the yard with it, moving my trailer, etc., but before I yanked it I drove it around the block and had the chance to romp on it once. It didn't have a tune on it, but needed one. It pulled harder than a Suburban should. Last weekend I used WCJr to load my Cadillac on the trailer and park it in the back yard. My yard was a boggy mess, and I had to back the trailer the whole way around the shop, but the engine had no shortage of torque. Still no tune on the stock TBI, but I know if I'm going to start driving regularly it'll need a tune or a Sniper swap.

The nice thing about that cam is that it's not a high-RPM cam. It's short duration, high lift, but it still sports big lift, which works with the Vortec heads, provided you use LS2/LS6 valvesprings and Comp Cams retainers.

The tuning is the big issue. The MPFI Vortec manifold ought to be just enough to handle that cam, but I never got that far. I have no experience with laptop tuning. The last time I tuned something it involved chucking machine screws into a fixture and drilling .120" holes.

Brandon97

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am putting intake gaskets in my truck right now and have decided to go with a different cam. It is a 5.7 and it will be getting hooker 2462hkr headers and a dual exhaust, either 2.5 or 3, I'm still undecided. I am putting in the mpfi injectors and will do a egr delete too. I have been looking at the lunati voodoo 262/270 roller cam or the SPO 357 cam. Also have been debating a blackbear tune or tuning it myself and was wondering how hard it is to learn how to use hp tuners.

Thanks.
I have been looking hard for someone who has ran the spo357 cam!