98 K1500 Z71 Font End Rebuild From High To Low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LCALDERA98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In what way do the bars and bushings not fit? The bushings can be ordered in different diameters. I measured my factory bar and ordered new bushings accordingly. Rockauto will list sizes.

I would guess it to be easier to install the bushings without the links to the lower control arms attached. This would allow better movement of the bar, while you're working on the mounts/bushings.

What made you decide to replace the bar to begin with? It's not a wear item, and I'd be surprised if it was changed when the truck was lifted by a prior owner.
i take the links off

i just had them on so i wouldn't lose the the bolts and nuts and washers

i did it because i didn't know what was stock on the truck and what was aftermarket so i just bought oem replacement parts from different brands

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they skipped putting the sway bar mounting bushings in :(
Damn, I didn’t watch it through this time, looked like he was getting there. I know I saw a video of someone installing them.

SomeTahoe

Reaction score
went through this process recently, it can help to put a jack under the LCA and raise it up a bit, slide a stand under and raise the other side too if you need it. Those bushings will be tight to squeeze on, and if yours is like mine, you wont get it to seat all the way when first installing, take it for a few (slow but steady) laps around the block, making sure to have turns in both directions. Once you do that you can tighten them down the rest of the way. Check them again when you go to change the oil/grease your zircs.

There is always the possibility that I did it all wrong and looked like a monkey humpin a football while doin it, but she rides smooth now.
EDIT: When installing mine, I decided it would be easier to keep the links on and line up the bushings as opposed to getting the bushings on and trying to line up the links, I curse that tiny hole we have for access under our LCAs

LCALDERA98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
went through this process recently, it can help to put a jack under the LCA and raise it up a bit, slide a stand under and raise the other side too if you need it. Those bushings will be tight to squeeze on, and if yours is like mine, you wont get it to seat all the way when first installing, take it for a few (slow but steady) laps around the block, making sure to have turns in both directions. Once you do that you can tighten them down the rest of the way. Check them again when you go to change the oil/grease your zircs.

There is always the possibility that I did it all wrong and looked like a monkey humpin a football while doin it, but she rides smooth now.
EDIT: When installing mine, I decided it would be easier to keep the links on and line up the bushings as opposed to getting the bushings on and trying to line up the links, I curse that tiny hole we have for access under our LCAs
how did you squeeze them on ?

SomeTahoe

Reaction score
how did you squeeze them on ?

put them on the bar, then mush the bracket over the bushing, then thread in the bracket as much as you reasonably can (you DO NOT want to strip those threads) having the LCA held up a bit helped give me room to actually thread in the bracket, but I also didn't have the shock installed when I installed the sway bar bits. I believe I had to push the bar a bit forward to get the threads started. When I initially tightened the bracket over the bushing, there was still a bit over 1/4" gap between the bracket face and the part of the frame it connects to. After the slow trips around the block, I was able to tighten it a bit more, but there is still a small gap, I'm sure after another oil change or 2 the gap will cease to exist.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
my problem is i cant even put the bushing on the bar

i give it a try wheni get home from work ill also up load pics

Sounds like you have the wrong size. Although I used a set that was too small the first time I changed them. How are you tryi g to put them on?

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but I also didn't have the shock installed when I installed the sway bar
Release your shocks(like SomeTahoe mentioned).
Or, is sway bar oriented the correct way?(more of a joke).

Last edited: