98 k1500 Hesitation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A "code reader" is not a "scan tool". A scan tool gives you access to the data stream--which is arguably MORE important than the "codes"; especially if the MIL is not lit.

Very true. If fuel pressure, and cranking compression are OK, the answer is in the data stream.
Your rite a scan tool is not a code reader. There is a huge difference. If your going to buy one, then geta scan tool that does live data, and not a code reader. You can have your codes read at autozone, but none of the part stores will do a live data scan. That was my point. Sorry if I wasnt clear on that. Im typing at work when I should be working LOL.

Last edited:

zachary97

Reaction score
Your rite a scan tool is not a code reader. There is a huge difference. If your going to buy one, then geta scan tool that does live data, and not a code reader. You can have your codes read at autozone, but none of the part stores will do a live data scan. That was my point. Sorry if I wasnt clear on that. Im typing at work when I should be working LOL.
There is so many scan tools out there I can’t figure witch out one is a good one I don’t want to have to buy twice

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Boy, that's sort of a tough call. A $300 tool from Innova, Autel, Foxwell, or Lauch will have live data. Probably won't matter much which one you get. The higher end Zurich from HF also has it.

I would think you have a code stored in your system. Is the fuse that powers SES light good? What's the history with the truck. You've had it for a while? Ran fine until recently? Or, just bought it and have no idea what the history is?

I would check for vacuum leaks. A little $30 vacuum gauge tells you a lot about an engine. Check for spark at each plug. I had a faulty EGR valve and had symptoms similar to yours, but you would have to check it. Injector(s) could be stuck open/closed and would create a lean/rich condition, but ECU would detect this and throw a code.

zachary97

Reaction score
I was looking down in the intake a while ago and noticed a lot of soot and I found a oil leak at the front of the intake above the water pump I may just pull the upper intake and take a look inside

You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The soot is from the EGR valve and the oil may be also if its i small amount.