'98 K1500 Front Coilover Swap

dvnlhnt

Reaction score
So I came across this video a while back.

tldw; man removes torsion bars and uses stock shock tabs to install front coil overs.

I spit balled the idea with my father - a veteran mechanic - he says its a dumb idea, since I value the off road capabilities of my K1500, because despite the weight savings you would lose a significant amount of valuable strength when it comes to off-roading with the weight of the vehicle displaced elsewhere. I have a local shop that could easily brace the stock shock tabs professionally and install front coil overs. What do you guys think in respect to 4x4 capabilities with this type of conversion? How would this impact a potential future lift or other modifications one might make?

DonYukon

Dont stop until it sounds expensive
Reaction score
not much to gain and if anything not worth it. I say this because the stock Torsion bars already flex plenty enough for a IFS. the problem here would be matching the spring rate and possibly losing some articulation. Also from a strenght standpoint the TB is much better. I run a set of Fox 2.5s on my SAS yukon and even with a 12 inch travel it leaves me wanting more. with a IFS setup I doubt you would be able to run much more than a 10 inch without having to redo the gussets. and even then your limited by the travel of the rest of the componets. will they work? i think so but as the video shows that lower mount is not intended for load bearing only dampening. for a IFS Coil swap to really be good your probably better off looking at a full setup with custom control arms. I really say all this from a offroad performance standpoint.

Gobistro00

Reaction score
Pretty sure
So I came across this video a while back.

tldw; man removes torsion bars and uses stock shock tabs to install front coil overs.

I spit balled the idea with my father - a veteran mechanic - he says its a dumb idea, since I value the off road capabilities of my K1500, because despite the weight savings you would lose a significant amount of valuable strength when it comes to off-roading with the weight of the vehicle displaced elsewhere. I have a local shop that could easily brace the stock shock tabs professionally and install front coil overs. What do you guys think in respect to 4x4 capabilities with this type of conversion? How would this impact a potential future lift or other modifications one might make?
pretty sure if you weld up a good solid mount the on the frame and reinforce it a bit you would be okay. Personally what I would do is just go for it. I’ve been thinking about doing this for awhile, and might just take the shot and attempt it, I was thinking of maybe just flush cutting shock mount and weld and reinforce kinda like a bucket style mount that goes a bit higher, as for the lower control arm…… it’s incredibly beefy where the shock mounts already, so I wouldn’t be worried about that. It’s a new idea that not many people attempt but who knows it might work well, I’m planning on doing a coilover solid axle conversion soon. I’m going to attempt to cut and reweld a bucket style mount for coilovers on the ifs first, and if it doesn’t work, I’ll be doing the sas, sas kit by wfo concepts