98 k1500 5.7 engine pull

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rantler

Reaction score
Hey all I'm looking to pull my engine and 4l60e. I have stripped everything infront of the engine (bumper, grille, rad, condensor, rad support) so there is nothing but room to pull forwards. Honestly it only took me a few hours to do this and its pretty nice being able to work on an engine while standing right beside it instead of having to reach over the grille. Most of the videos I've watched are for C1500 pickups. Is there anything I should watch out for with the 4x4? I believe I can pull the tranny with the engine attached still?

Any tips or tricks would be much appreciated, ive never pulled an engine out of a k1500.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I pulled an engine and transmission together from a donor truck. I used an engine hoist and had a terrible time taking the whole thing out. Had lots of help, but the entire thing is too long and too heavy for those hoists. Had to butcher the front cross member underneath to take it out.

On a 4x4 it's going to be even more difficult with the transfer case still attached. I'd at least take that out first. And front differential is going to complicate things more.

Good luck.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Since you pulled the rad support you can pull the engine and transmission in one piece but the T-case has to come off. Drain the trans by pulling the pan or you will have quite the mess. The cross member will not be an issue.
Make sure that you take the dist. cap off or there is a good chance that it will be damaged. I pulled the drive train out of my '90 K1500 this way by my self with out any difficulty. Double check that you have ALL of the wiring disconnected and bungee the cooler lines up so that they do not get hung up.
The diff will not cause any issues.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year? TBI or Vortec?

I like putting rags under the hood corners, pulling the hood bolts, and using a rope to pull the hood back onto the windshield. Then remove the front wheels and lower the truck onto jackstands so the rotors are just off the ground. If you have room to get the transmission over the crossmember, you should have plenty of height available.

rantler

Reaction score
What year? TBI or Vortec?

I like putting rags under the hood corners, pulling the hood bolts, and using a rope to pull the hood back onto the windshield. Then remove the front wheels and lower the truck onto jackstands so the rotors are just off the ground. If you have room to get the transmission over the crossmember, you should have plenty of height available.
its a 98 with a 5.7l vortec.

rantler

Reaction score
Since you pulled the rad support you can pull the engine and transmission in one piece but the T-case has to come off. Drain the trans by pulling the pan or you will have quite the mess. The cross member will not be an issue.
Make sure that you take the dist. cap off or there is a good chance that it will be damaged. I pulled the drive train out of my '90 K1500 this way by my self with out any difficulty. Double check that you have ALL of the wiring disconnected and bungee the cooler lines up so that they do not get hung up.
The diff will not cause any issues.
Thanks this is helpful. How tough is it to get the T-case off?

rantler

Reaction score
Since I have most of the front end apart I was thinking of pulling the cab. Check out this vid

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I dont have a shop hoist handy but I do have a tractor. Anyone have any ideas on some solid areas to lift from? I dont think it will be overly heavy, I have removed the entire interior in the cab and the hood will be off.

Just so everyone is aware I had always planned on pulling everything down to the frame and building back up. I would not be going out of my way to pull the cab, it would just make it easier for me to get the engine/tranny/tcase out if im not working on the floor.