98 K1500 4L60e interchangeability

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

red98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 1998 K1500 5.7L Auto and I am trying to figure out which other 4L60es will swap into it. I work for a dealership and we have a 12491883 laying around, and I'm told if I can use it they'll get me a hefty employee discount as its been sitting here for years, but I'm having a hard time figuring out what the differences between the 12491883 and the 24212624 are, as GM calls for the latter for my truck, and the former (according to GM parts catalog) will not fit. On cursory inspection the 12491883 appears to be a 4x4 4L60e same as my transmission, I imagine there are some differences internally and possibly electronically. If anyone could chime in with more info as to if this thing will work for me, and/or what would be required to make it work for me I'd appreciate it.

Also; I have done SOME research on this part number and it seems like it fits 2004 4x4 GM SUV's, but I can't find anywhere that lists it fitting the pickups (or any particular reason that it DOESN'T fit the pickups)

Thanks.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It looks like the 12491883 is listed for use on the Envoy/Trailblazer, etc. Those SUVs had the Atlas 4.2L. Probably has a different torque converter and/or smaller input shaft?

There were 3 different input shafts on the 4L60e IIRC. Somewhere on this subforum I posted some link that shows the three of them on performancetruck.net....do a search like a month or so.

Or maybe someone else knows the real answer and they can chime in...