98 GMC Sierra. What is this wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So my 98 sierra has been sitting for quite a while with the battery disconnected because the ignition switch was bad. I bought a new battery and ignition switch, replaced the ignition switch, and went to hook up my battery.

Well after hooking up the positive and negative terminals, I discovered this wire. I can’t remember if it connects to positive or negative or what the wire is even for. I don’t want to just guess and fry something or pop a fuse so does anyone have any idea what it is and which terminal it connects to?

The truck is a 98 GMC Sierra sle with tow package if that makes a difference. The wire runs down the passenger side front fender down underneath the radiator. It is in a wire housing with several other wires as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It looks like a ground. Not sure if this is your guy or not, but maybe this will help.

On my Tahoe (98) it disappears in the right headlight housing.

On my truck (also a 98 with the 350) it is in the same bundle that supplies the right headlight.

The ground in the photos above is number G112. Your right headlight and horn, at least, use this ground. If neither function, then this may be the culprit.

Last edited:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Damn, if that wasnt the best answer to a "what is this mystery wire" thread I've ever seen I dont know what is!! A+ to you sir!