98 ecu in 96? Swap possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Also @Astro I forgot to mention earlier, you might try getting in touch with some mail order tuners. I know Black Bear Performance can tune the '96-'97 black boxes, and I believe PCMForLess can as well. There may be others...

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for all your help guys! I have a found a company to make me a 0411 so that I can do a swap. I'll post on here once I confirm everything turns out OK!

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Never heard of them and the fact that they do not even have a phone number or physical address associated with their business would be a concern to me.
I guess we'll have to see. The guy has been pretty communicative with me and he's already sent the part, with a tracking number.

Last edited:

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok guys, in the middle of the swap now, but I have a question. Have any of you have done this have to splice together wires 3 and 4 on the black connector and put them both into 50 red? It's the vss. On my spreadsheet, it says tie 3 and 4 together, but it doesn't say splice. I may be thinking too much into it.

Attachments

• 16694007449418441045229100797204.jpg
    16694007449418441045229100797204.jpg
    403.5 KB · Views: 12

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok all, got everything swapped in and it works like a charm. I had to delete my egr on the truck side because I tuned it out and I had to splice into the transmission range harness that's part of the neutral safety switch on the tranny for the pcm to know what gear I'm in. So, I left the harness intact with the original wiring, but tapped into the wiring according to the spreadsheet.

After the CASE relearn, truck is running very well and has a completely tunable PCM.

Highly recommend http://www.pcmpowertunes.com/. Ask for Jim if ya'll send him a message.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok all, got everything swapped in and it works like a charm. I had to delete my egr on the truck side because I tuned it out and I had to splice into the transmission range harness that's part of the neutral safety switch on the tranny for the pcm to know what gear I'm in. So, I left the harness intact with the original wiring, but tapped into the wiring according to the spreadsheet.

After the CASE relearn, truck is running very well and has a completely tunable PCM.

Highly recommend http://www.pcmpowertunes.com/. Ask for Jim if ya'll send him a message.
Using HP Tuners or Universal Patcher, I set them up to work without the range sensor inputs. Works on just the internal pressure switches in the transmission the same way it does in a LS1 F-car.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Using HP Tuners or Universal Patcher, I set them up to work without the range sensor inputs. Works on just the internal pressure switches in the transmission the same way it does in a LS1 F-car.
Oh nice! That's good to know. Was it pretty simple? I still haven't bought the credits to use the editor on it, but will soon.