98 Crew Cab 454 SAs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevinF

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The track bar bracket at the axle end is quarter but 3/8 at the ears.
You must be registered for see images attach

Got the coil buckets blasted because they were a little crusty. Leaned them back 6 degrees which is basically what they are on the Ford frame ..ish.

The track bar bracket is .179 wall pipe with 2 inch 250 wall DOM for the bushing sleeve. It got beveled out and double passed. No tig here yet but it should be ok.

I put a half inch jog into the track bar to clear the pitman a little better.

KevinF

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The track bar bushings are MOOG 3176 I think. TJ track bar rear poly bushing. They fit a 1.5 inch ID tube and the bolt sleeve is 1.6" long. We'll see if I nailed the track bar length on the first try. If I need to make it adjustable or make an adjustable on then so be it.

I had to get the buckets on and in place and I boxed in the stamped part for beef. I didn't plate the frame where it was uneven from the IFS mess. Instead I ran a piece of flat bar across the top of the frame so the bucket would sit flat. It'll be welded top and bottom and the sides boxed in like so.

The upper track bar bracket is next. It will be on the bottom of the frame but wrap around inside and tie into the coil bucket on the outside. Made out of quarter but doubled up at the eye and around the outside of the frame. I hope that is good because the Ford track bar bracket is a serious piece of iron.
Compared to a 90's chev 3500hd, everything I've built is serious beef. Compared to a factory 05+ Superduty, its still ok..

Last edited:

KevinF

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some progress. I don't think I'll have to clearance it for the front driveshaft. The trans mount sits tilted 2 degrees which is equal to factory I figure..

This is a 1.5 x 3 tube that I found to be a good fit after some front crossmember hackery.

KevinF

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The rear axle is sold so I'll get that pulled and maybe get that Sterling set in place tonight.

Here's how the crossmember looks under the truck. Looks like I'll have plenty of room for the front driveshaft to travel but it would be quick to clearance the crossmember for it if needed. Its not at ride height in this photo, still sitting on the jackstands high enough that the axle could roll in and out the front.

Heres how the top and bottom brackets for the track bar ended up. It got a 3/16 spacer.

KevinF

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Took a short hiatus to build the railing on the mezzanine.

Knocked the perches off. I heard lots of horror stories about removing the cast perches. It took 5 minutes per side.

It sits pretty nicely on the springs. I have to think about how flat/raked I want it to sit, adjust the pinion a bit to suit and burn the perches on. The incoming driveshaft angle on the gmt400 must be a fair bit flatter than the Ford, because with the pinion set now at 1-2 degrees, the front (right) lower shock bolt is 9.75 off the floor and the rear (left) lower shock bolt is 11.25 off the floor - assuming ford had them equal, I have point the pinion down.