98 Crew Cab 454 SAs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gstubbz

Hi I'm Gavin and I have an OBSession
Reaction score
I think I'd keep it a dually, I have always liked duallies - never personally owned a "pickup" dually because all the duallies I end up with are cab and chassis trucks with the narrower rear axle. Guess it just depends on your intentions. I like that welding deck though!

KevinF

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Picked up the axle donor, and its got 4.10s so I'll likely swap in the sterling SRW. I've got the 3 ton for dually duty.
You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If you want a single rear wheel axle, look for a GMT-800 14bff with discs, or you could get the 11.5" but I'd rather have the 10.5" I think.

KevinF

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Why look for a 10.5 AAM with rear disc? Then I would have to drill my front hubs and rotors to 8x6.5. I have a Sterling 10.5 matched to the front axle right there.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
How much of your Chevy do you want to be Ford? Are you unfamiliar with the durability of the 14BFF?

Edit: The 14BFF is made by AAM, but it was designed by GM for the 1973 model year in the Squarebodies. It's been updated several times, and is built by AAM because GM spun off the business in 1994.

Last edited:

KevinF

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
How Chevy is an AAM axle when they ran identical ones in Dodge trucks? Chev and Ford run ZF6 transmissions. Chevy and Ford joint ventured the 8 and 10 speed transmission design.

How much extra work am I going to subject myself to over stupid emotionalism such as "how much of my Chevy do I want to be Ford".

I like the GMT400 body and I like the way the trucks look. I think it will be cool with a solid front axle and could care less that Ford bought these particular Dana and Sterling parts and put them in a truck first, for me to later utilize.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
How Chevy is an AAM axle when they ran identical ones in Dodge trucks?

They don't run identical axles in Dodge trucks, at least not the era I'm suggesting sourcing an axle from. AAM had separate designs they built for Dodge, and they came out of Mexico. Lately GM is building some of their own axles again, but I don't know which ones...Wyoming, Michigan plant.

As mentioned in my previous post, in an edit:
The 14BFF is made by AAM, but it was designed by GM for the 1973 model year in the Squarebodies. It's been updated several times, and is built by AAM because GM spun off the business in 1994.

Chev and Ford run ZF6 transmissions. Chevy and Ford joint ventured the 8 and 10 speed transmission design.

Neither of which is in question here. Ford builds the Sterling axle in Sterling Heights, MI for Ford trucks.

It's your truck, do what you want. It was just a suggestion.

KevinF

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have another small installment to make towards this project. A guy wanted the 5.4 so the parts truck got parted out.

Once the extra junk was off my Dana 60 I started working on all the frame rivets. By far the easiest way was to through drill them with about a 1/8" bit and then blow most of the rivet out with the torch. Without this they were extremely tight in the bore and weren't moving with any amount of air hammering.

I'm even (money wise) on the superduty now. I could be in the black by about a 1000-1500 if all the bits remaining sell. The trans and tcase will be tough to offload. They don't fail often behind the 5.4

I have the welding deck on the 98 crew cab for sale.

Easiest way to pull a superduty engine..cut in front of the steering box and behind the trans cross member, pull the front two body mounts.

Put it back on the trailer and fill the box with scrap.