98 c1500 4l60e not working after 2 rebuilds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the record, it was the early 96’s that had the ECU grounding issues. OP’s 98 should be good.

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Sonnax fix requires a new oversized valve and a reamer to enlarge the bore. Most rebuilders just do what the YouTube video shows. Sometimes they use the long spring or sometimes they use a piece of tubing or anything between the two PWM/TCC valves. It's an easy fix that essentially stops the PWM (pulse width management) valve from working. The valve is constantly working back and forth so quickly that it's almost a vibration. That's why the bore wears out. GM likes their Torque converter clutches to have a controlled slip for smoother apply and operation. This creates problems down the road. Any transmission rebuilder with any sense will block the valve with any rebuild. Transgo has a slightly oversized valve and a stiff spring in their shift kits and they work just a good as Sonnax at a fraction of the cost. You will barely notice the fix except for a slightly firmer 3-4 shift. I did the Transgo kit to mine and I love the firmer 3-4 shift.

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Sonnax fix requires a new oversized valve and a reamer to enlarge the bore. Most rebuilders just do what the YouTube video shows. Sometimes they use the long spring or sometimes they use a piece of tubing or anything between the two PWM/TCC valves. It's an easy fix that essentially stops the PWM (pulse width management) valve from working. The valve is constantly working back and forth so quickly that it's almost a vibration. That's why the bore wears out. GM likes their Torque converter clutches to have a controlled slip for smoother apply and operation. This creates problems down the road. Any transmission rebuilder with any sense will block the valve with any rebuild. Transgo has a slightly oversized valve and a stiff spring in their shift kits and they work just a good as Sonnax at a fraction of the cost. You will barely notice the fix except for a slightly firmer 3-4 shift. I did the Transgo kit to mine and I love the firmer 3-4 shift.
Is that shift kit you mention Transgo 4L60E-HD2 ?

GMTMark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don’t know about the HD2. It’s the cheaper kit though. It isn’t the reprogramming kit that can make it shift really hard.

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don’t know about the HD2. It’s the cheaper kit though. It isn’t the reprogramming kit that can make it shift really hard.

Yes. HD2 is the reprogramming kit. Oops, I was wondering if this would be appropriate for a daily driver. Sounds like the answer is no. :)