98 c1500 4l60e not working after 2 rebuilds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alchip

Reaction score
I have a 1998 Chevy Silverado c1500 with the 305 engine and a 4l60e. About 2 my check engine came on saying “transmission component slipping.” I decided to take it to my mechanic and he told me I needed a rebuild after the rebuild the transmission worked okay except that when I would floor it instead of changing gear it would rev until 6000 rpm’s and not shift. But other than that it worked well for about a week then it started slipping from 2nd to 3rd gear it would only shift when I would floor it but it wouldn’t shift from 3rd to 4th. I took it back to my mechanic and he opened up the transmission it didn’t have any major pieces but it was full of black particles because the transmission burned. My mechanic rebuilt it again 2 days ago and it worked well for a few hours now it slips from 2nd gear to 3rd gear until about 3500 rpm’s then it shifts and when I floor it, it won’t shift it’ll just rev up until 6000 rpm’s. My mechanic says that I need a new Ecu but I don’t know, I don’t want to burn this transmission too I just want my truck to work I can’t find anything online and I’m at my wits ends any advice works. Thank you in advanced.

Edit: I’m sorry I forgot to mention on the 2nd rebuild he gave me a completely different 4l60e transmission this one isn’t throwing out the p1870 code. That’s why he suggested a new Ecu

Edit 2: Decided to LS swap it with a newer 4l60E works great. Thank you everyone!!

Last edited:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Man, that sucks... sorry to hear that. Did you have that P1870 code by any chance?

I was going to suggest to find a real transmission builder. It didn't seem like your mechanic knew what he's doing. Nothing against him; I'm sure he's an honest person and trying to fix your transmission.

But since you mention ECU, there is a TSB for a lost ground going to the ECU. I can't remember the exact year it affects. It's been posted here before. Look into that and see if you need it before rebuilding it again.

We don't know what was involved in the rebuild, so I don't think anyone here is going to give you any specific advice, unless they just guess.

Alchip

Reaction score
Man, that sucks... sorry to hear that. Did you have that P1870 code by any chance?

I was going to suggest to find a real transmission builder. It didn't seem like your mechanic knew what he's doing. Nothing against him; I'm sure he's an honest person and trying to fix your transmission.

But since you mention ECU, there is a TSB for a lost ground going to the ECU. I can't remember the exact year it affects. It's been posted here before. Look into that and see if you need it before rebuilding it again.

We don't know what was involved in the rebuild, so I don't think anyone here is going to give you any specific advice, unless they just guess.
Yes it was the p1870 code, I’m going to buy a new Ecu and hopefully that solves the problem but beyond that I have no idea

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes it was the p1870 code, I’m going to buy a new Ecu and hopefully that solves the problem but beyond that I have no idea
That's a common problem on these units. It's due to wear between the bore on the valve body and the TCC valve itself. The wear is detected by the ECU (as a slippage) and commands full line pressure. I'm sorry to say this, but a new ECU is not going to fix your problem. There are a few fixes to this, which may or may not even require a complete overhaul, depending on your transmission's condition.

Of course, in your case that no longer even matters.

Look here:
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Around the 3:50 mark he starts talking about it and discusses the fixes.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Alchip

Reaction score
That's a common problem on these units. It's due to wear between the bore on the valve body and the TCC valve itself. The wear is detected by the ECU (as a slippage) and commands full line pressure. I'm sorry to say this, but a new ECU is not going to fix your problem. There a few fixes to this, which may or may not even require a complete overhaul, depending on your transmission's condition.

Look here:

Good luck.
Thank you I really appreciate it

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a common problem on these units. It's due to wear between the bore on the valve body and the TCC valve itself.

If OP is interested, some discussion is given here on Sonnex' site about their solution to the problem:

Also, search for "4l60e p1870" using Google, etc. and watch the video mentioned by stutaeng previously.

Alchip

Reaction score
That's a common problem on these units. It's due to wear between the bore on the valve body and the TCC valve itself. The wear is detected by the ECU (as a slippage) and commands full line pressure. I'm sorry to say this, but a new ECU is not going to fix your problem. There are a few fixes to this, which may or may not even require a complete overhaul, depending on your transmission's condition.

Look here:

Good luck.
I’m sorry I forgot to mention on the 2nd rebuild he gave me a completely different 4l60e transmission this one isn’t throwing out the p1870 code. That’s why he suggested a new Ecu

Alchip

Reaction score
If OP is interested, some discussion is given here on Sonnex' site about their solution to the problem:

Also, search for "4l60e p1870" using Google, etc. and watch the video mentioned by stutaeng previously.
Thank you!