'98 Busurban Storm Chase Vehicle Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You could swap to a 4L80E if you wanted to keep the auto, but can't go wrong with the manual either.
A stick is probably the way I'm gonna go. I'd trust a used manual transmission much more than a used automatic.

Also having a stick shift Suburban would give me legend status among all . . .

Well you guys.

Maybe I'll finally win truck of the month.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, they've never done me wrong.

I've been going there since I was 16 (I used a fake ID to get in the yard).
Agreed. They’ve hooked me up more than once. One time I just went down for a single piece of trim and a pigtail and they let me have it. Half priced days are usually more like 75% off days, too if you’ve got a lot of stuff you’ve picked.

I live about an hour north of Peoria. Cool to see someone else local on here. Like the suburban, too! It looks great with the quad beams.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A stick is probably the way I'm gonna go. I'd trust a used manual transmission much more than a used automatic.

Also having a stick shift Suburban would give me legend status among all . . .

Well you guys.

Maybe I'll finally win truck of the month.
You have to enter to win. Just keep trying. Sooner or later, you'll win. There are only 2 entries so far this month.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'm farming out th trans rebuild to a shop.

I'm between terms in school, so I can't use their shop, and I really need the truck back.
You must be registered for see images attach

(The cold cracked my windshield)
So after paying way the hell up to have the trans rebuilt properly, I cheaped out on actually getting it to the shop.

They wanted $400 to tow it! I rented a Uhaul Truck/Dolly for $150 and brought it there myself.
(I pulled the driveshaft, don't worry).

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
SHE LIVES!!
[I forgot to take a picture of the whole truck]
The transmission has been fully rebuilt. It turns out that Torque Converter failed and took the rest of the trans with it. He says that there was an internal seal missing in the pump that probably facilitated this failure. Anyways, the trans shifts great, and the truck seems to finally be coming together.

Now I pulled the truck into the school to do a bit of work on it yesterday, and I noticed this scrape on the passenger rear door (the one I painted). I was about to call the guy when I went back on my phone and found the damage in a video clip I took a few weeks earlier.

So it seems that this happened while the truck was sitting in the in the parking lot at my apartment complex. Its not the end of the world, I'm just a bit pissed.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anyways, I got more important things to worry about right now such as STORM SEASON!!

It's been a few years in the making, but this year is the year that I'm going to take this truck storm chasing.

I'm going to fabricate/install a camera mount. [This is a photo of my '95 Suburban from 2019]

I'm going to be installing a beacon/market lights.

Fog Lights.

Maybe a visor [It might deflect some hail]

And I'm definitely lettering it up.

Anyways, stay tuned.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to do something painful yesterday after locking my keys in my truck.

This is after two hours of trying to unlock it, so I relented and smashed the window.

A $30 junkyard window is cheaper than calling a locksmith, the ****** part is that I thought I had a Hide-a-key on the truck, but the magnetic box must've fallen off going down the road. Anyways, it took me about an hour to install the new window.