'98 Busurban Storm Chase Vehicle Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Well I determined that the problem was indeed with the rear end.

Luckily, my local (Peoria IL) Upull came through with this rear end from a '97 Tahoe that's got half the miles, and is identical to my old one.

I'm going to get it all put back together tomorrow, I just need to get some new Ubolts, I know that you aren't supposed to reuse them, and these ones were about to. snap.

Attachments

• 20221229_210145.jpg
    20221229_210145.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 6

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So some interesting things have hapended over the past few days.

First off, I got the new rear end in, and it fixed the issue and all was great. The truck drove all the way to Denver with no issues, then as I was about to back into a parking space at my apartment, NOTHING!

No reverse whatsoever!!

I checked the fluid, and it was burnt and smelled horrible. Needless to say, I am now in need of a transmission.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's probably going to be a month or so before I can fix the truck, so I'm driving 'Ol Yeller for the time being.

The way I see it, I got a few options to get this truck back on the road.

Option 1:

(No way I'm buying a used 4l60e)
I could order a transmission from Monster Transmission and stick in in front of the original 316,000 Tcase. I don't have the money to rebuild the Tcase right now, and it tends to make some noise in 4wd.

Option 2:

Pick up a used NV3500 5spd transmission and swap it in. This apparently isn't as difficult at I've been lead to believe. Since it bolts right in place of the 4l60e.

The clutch master cylinder and pedal assembly bolt right in (after cutting out the knock out plates).

Now wiring might sound like an issue given the fact that the ECM is now running without its computer controlled transmission, but I proved that a 4l60e can be swapped for a non computer controlled transmission with a few workarounds I devised.

My next problem is with finding a 4wd NV3500 complete with Tcase. At least around here, a complete set up commands a bunch of money, but 2wd NV3500s are plentiful and cheap.

This brings me to another choice:

What do I want more, 4wd, and a manual transmission?

Manual Transmission definitely.

What do you guys think about this?

Attachments

• 20230105_082020.jpg
    20230105_082020.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 6

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gearstar and Hughes are two transmission builders I've heard nothing but good about, but they're both expensive. Like $4-5K for a 4L60E, which personally I couldn't justify. I got the whole 4L80E swap in my red truck done for just under $4K and did none of the labor myself.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well I determined that the problem was indeed with the rear end.

Luckily, my local (Peoria IL) Upull came through with this rear end from a '97 Tahoe that's got half the miles, and is identical to my old one.

I'm going to get it all put back together tomorrow, I just need to get some new Ubolts, I know that you aren't supposed to reuse them, and these ones were about to. snap.
You talking about Neal’s U Pull N Save? I go there pretty often. In the warmer months I go about 1-2 times a month.