'98 Busurban Storm Chase Vehicle Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'm going back to Illinois next week, and I'm not coming back until September.

Some of the reason is due to the fact that I just had my drivers license suspended until then (if someone under 21 get 2 tickets in 24 months, Illinois suspended your license for 6 months).

Another reason has to do due with my Dad needing help renovating our basement after it got flooded really bad while I was gone.

Insurance isn't covering it, so we're going to do it ourselves (not the first time we've done a job like this).

Anyways, right now just seems like the right time to leave colorado (I've been getting pretty tired of this hell hole).

Now this means that I got to tow the '74 GMC home using the Busurban (Well I'm flying out my buddy so he can drive for me).

This trip may be even more epic than the first one.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This time I'm renting a tow dolly instead of a full trailer. The '74 weighs much more than the Studebaker, and the fist drive was pretty rough since I didn't have trailer brakes.

The main reason that I'm getting the dolly, though, is that it's about half the price of the trailer (I'm on a pretty tight budget).

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I seem to have a caster issue on the drivers front, what do you guys think might have caused it?
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm not going to worry too much about it.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
So I seem to have a caster issue on the drivers front, what do you guys think might have caused it?

I'm not going to worry too much about it.
Is that the side that went in the ditch? Did you hit the curb? Could be something is just a little bit tweaked.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's been quite a while since I've posted anything to this thread, but I'd like to report that the Burb is still running/driving great. It made the trip back to Illinois with no issues (I stopped and visited the TIV 1 in Hays KS).

Since I can't drive (drivers license suspended) I'd just been an extra vehicle for the family to drive for the past few months.

(The Black truck is my late grandfathers '89 C1500 that has now been delegated to being a farm truck. It is also what I fell in love with the '88/89 front end).

My problem now is that you guys probably won't be seeing much of this truck for quite a while since I decided not to take it back to Denver in September.

I'm taking 'Ol Yeller with it's fresh engine/trans.

Lots of people think I'm insane for daily driving this thing, but I'm confident in it, and I've already has the pleasure of driving it through several Denver snow storms in stand still traffic. There is also the simple fact that this thing is the best driving vehicle I own. Also it's got a '3:55 Posi which makes it pretty decent in snow. Anyways, thats it for now.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's been quite a while since I've posted anything to this thread, but I'd like to report that the Burb is still running/driving great. It made the trip back to Illinois with no issues (I stopped and visited the TIV 1 in Hays KS).

Since I can't drive (drivers license suspended) I'd just been an extra vehicle for the family to drive for the past few months.

(The Black truck is my late grandfathers '89 C1500 that has now been delegated to being a farm truck. It is also what I fell in love with the '88/89 front end).

My problem now is that you guys probably won't be seeing much of this truck for quite a while since I decided not to take it back to Denver in September.

I'm taking 'Ol Yeller with it's fresh engine/trans.

Lots of people think I'm insane for daily driving this thing, but I'm confident in it, and I've already has the pleasure of driving it through several Denver snow storms in stand still traffic. There is also the simple fact that this thing is the best driving vehicle I own. Also it's got a '3:55 Posi which makes it pretty decent in snow. Anyways, thats it for now.

The only insane thing about DD'ing that in Denver is how miserably gutless it's gonna be.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Actually one more thing, my next big project with the Burb might be a manual swap.

I'm thinking of finding a parts K1500 with an NV3500 to swap all the parts over from, but that's going to be a while from now. This is a truck I don't think I'm getting rid of any time soon.

When the time comes, it would be my first candidate for an EV swap (As much as I love internal combustion engines, EV swaps are going to becheap and commonplace in the near future).

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The only insane thing about DD'ing that in Denver is how miserably gutless it's gonna be.
I generally drive like an old man (I even tend to leave my signal on). So I don't need much power to get me where I need to go.

Everyone told me to drop a smallbock into this truck. My excuse used to be that the straight 6 is the soul of the truck and I didn't want to ruin it. My new excuse is gas prices, but the real reason is that I can get a nice running straight 6 for a fraction of the cost of a decent smallblock (even a 307). I paid $650 for the motor, and its got less than 5000 miles on the rebuild. The guy just pulled it out of his '64 C10 to drop in a crate 383.