'98 Busurban Storm Chase Vehicle Build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I'm cleaning her up.

She was almost ready to go down the road, but I did a few last minute touch ups (I painted the bumper filler).

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Buying this '86 was a mistake, I miss the '98.

The 7mpg is bankrupting me, and I'm really not falling in love with the truck (I'm more of a round eye guy myself).

It's a good solid truck, (definitely not as rust free as the '98) but it needs a lot, and I don't really feel like it's the truck for me.

If only I had the '98 back . . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

Suspense . . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

. . .

She's Back!

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Did you trade? Glad you're back in the 400 fold.
I miss my 90 R2500 square Burb, but it was a TBI 350 so it got a little bit better mileage than if it'd been a big block. TBI reliability with ease of service of a square body truck. But it had been sitting too long and started rusting,so it had to go. Went down swinging though, the wrecker driver that took it said it came off his wrecker 3 times. That old truck didn't want to go I guess....

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Despite putting nearly 3000 miles on the truck in the time I owned it, I never really fell in love with it (3k in less than 2 months, I at least think is some pretty good mileage).

I sold it for $2500 (which is a bit cheap, but it was pretty leaky) and bought the '98 back for $3200 (The guy was a bit reluctant to part with it).

I looked for another nice GMT400 Suburban, but I didn't have any luck, so I called the guy and bought it back (He didn't even transfer the title while he owned it, and I never transfered my lates to the '86, so it all worked out for me).

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you trade? Glad you're back in the 400 fold.
I miss my 90 R2500 square Burb, but it was a TBI 350 so it got a little bit better mileage than if it'd been a big block. TBI reliability with ease of service of a square body truck. But it had been sitting too long and started rusting,so it had to go. Went down swinging though, the wrecker driver that took it said it came off his wrecker 3 times. That old truck didn't want to go I guess....
I wish the '86 was a TBI, but someone swapped on a edelbrock performer intake as well as an autozone special edelbrock 1406 600cfm carburetor.

The truck never ran right, 600 cfm is just too little carburetor for 454 cubic inches. I guess the TBI wouldn't have been much better power wise, but it would at least start in the morning.

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The guy did a couple of modifications to the truck while he had it.

He painted the grille and emblem (I'm going to paint the emblem back to gold).

He also installed some LED driving lights.

He even put in some after market brake lights as well as installed new trailer wiring.

The interior of the truck is also the cleanest I've ever seen it.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I wish the '86 was a TBI, but someone swapped on a edelbrock performer intake as well as an autozone special edelbrock 1406 600cfm carburetor.

The truck never ran right, 600 cfm is just too little carburetor for 454 cubic inches. I guess the TBI wouldn't have been much better power wise, but it would at least start in the morning.
Yeah I agree on the carb size. We had a 3/4 ton 77 Burb with a 454, that we got from friends that hauled a trailer full of shop manuals, brochures and magazines all over the country with it. They weren't mechanically inclined,so they had someone who worked on it for them. Some of their fixes did more harm than good though, like 2" dual exhaust and a Thermo Quad carburetor that needed a rebuild and rejet. Another unfinished project that got sold.....

Kem Poyner

Reaction score
I have been chasing tornados in tornado alley for over 25 years. My current chase vehicle is an 06 F-150. I just picked up a 94 K2500 that has low miles that will become my next chase truck.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
post us some pics of the weather your chasing! I got a twin/triplet funnel that may have touched down as a twin but I couldnt see it behind the bush and I wasnt chasing, just watching from my yard. the cloud was spinning in a circle with 3 funnels trying to form. someone got footage from a few minutes later and much closer of a pair of small twins on the ground.

what weather app do you guys use for radar jester? I was using storm radar and it was just pulled after being bought out. I cant find anything equivalent or better.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210706-141652_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210706-141652_Gallery.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 5

jjester6000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have been chasing tornados in tornado alley for over 25 years. My current chase vehicle is an 06 F-150. I just picked up a 94 K2500 that has low miles that will become my next chase truck.
Awesome, I want to hear more.