98 ABS Delete - proportioning valve wire?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevinF

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
H guys,

Gotta say thanks, over the years I have referred to GMT400 MANY times for help. Great site..

I have a 98 K2500 with an 5.3, 4l80e, 14bSF.

I just installed a proportioning valve thanks to that Draggin guy's good advice to make the process simple.

I grabbed the proportioning valve from a 94ish truck at the wrecker. I also took the rear line that ran from the RWABS to the connector on the frame rail. Then I took preflared lengths of 3/16 line from the parts store and a 3/16 tee to make the front lines. Everything is good except for the brake warning indicator light. Because the circuit closes when there is uneven pressure, the light coming on won't be an issue without the wire hooked up, but I wouldn't mind wiring it in. There are 2 wires at the stock PV sensor and 1 wire at the 94 PV wire sensor. I haven't looked into it yet. Any advice on how to hook it up?

Worst case scenario I could just wire it up to a separate red LED somewhere on the dash and keep it separate from factory system, but I'd like to integrate it. Almost everything else I have done so far on the truck has integrated with factory systems.. IE My backup camera is wired to come come on with the cargo lights, stock cruise control switch works with the 5.3 DBW cruise, etc.

If anyone was interested in a complete write up on the ABS delete I could probably do one to show my appreciation for the great tech on this forum (but it actually is a very simple job).

Lastly, I used a half ton proportioning valve. How much different is it on a 2500?

Here is a pic of the setup. I just built the bracket to hold the PCM given the extra room with the ABS pump gone.
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is the complete build if anyone is interested
http://www.s4wda.com/index.php?topic=3368.0

Last edited:

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All I did on my 98 was unplug the sensors at the wheels and pulled the bulb to the ABS light in the dash. Never got a code or negatively effected the braking.

I would like to see a complete write up on here if you don't mind.
I would like to clean up the engine bay a bit and remove unused equipment.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would love for you to do a write up on this, want to get rid of this big box from my engine bay because im getting rid of everything else. It will be the same as your truck

Bigfoot

Zombie Response Team
Reaction score
Yes a write up would be greatly appreciated! Been looking to do this for a while.

KevinF

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah I realized that there is already a very good thread on the topic after I posted this.

The one thing that I am not sure about is which donor trucks require the adapter fitting for the rear 1/4" line and which don't. My 1/4" line was able to thread right into the PV whereas some needed the adapter because the rear brake line had a larger flare nut.

My suggestion - check out a few trucks at the wrecker and try to find one with a 1/4" rear brakeline that will thread into your PV.

Thanks again Draggin95.

Rojo

Reaction score
H guys,

Gotta say thanks, over the years I have referred to GMT400 MANY times for help. Great site..

I have a 98 K2500 with an 5.3, 4l80e, 14bSF.

I just installed a proportioning valve thanks to that Draggin guy's good advice to make the process simple.

I grabbed the proportioning valve from a 94ish truck at the wrecker. I also took the rear line that ran from the RWABS to the connector on the frame rail. Then I took preflared lengths of 3/16 line from the parts store and a 3/16 tee to make the front lines. Everything is good except for the brake warning indicator light. Because the circuit closes when there is uneven pressure, the light coming on won't be an issue without the wire hooked up, but I wouldn't mind wiring it in. There are 2 wires at the stock PV sensor and 1 wire at the 94 PV wire sensor. I haven't looked into it yet. Any advice on how to hook it up?

Worst case scenario I could just wire it up to a separate red LED somewhere on the dash and keep it separate from factory system, but I'd like to integrate it. Almost everything else I have done so far on the truck has integrated with factory systems.. IE My backup camera is wired to come come on with the cargo lights, stock cruise control switch works with the 5.3 DBW cruise, etc.

If anyone was interested in a complete write up on the ABS delete I could probably do one to show my appreciation for the great tech on this forum (but it actually is a very simple job).

Lastly, I used a half ton proportioning valve. How much different is it on a 2500?

Here is a pic of the setup. I just built the bracket to hold the PCM given the extra room with the ABS pump gone.
You must be registered for see images attach

Can you redo the link I'm wanting to delete abs on my 96 c15 never needed it I first place I'm not a bumper jumper

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just tried the link above now and it's dead. A Google search of s4wda.com turns up a bunch of Mandarin. FYI.

Somebody remind me: What's the attraction to removing the ABS? I can think of a few reasons but none compelling.

But then, I removed a perfectly good 4.3L from an S10 pickup and stuffed an L31 in its place. So there you go.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just tried the link above now and it's dead. A Google search of s4wda.com turns up a bunch of Mandarin. FYI.

Somebody remind me: What's the attraction to removing the ABS? I can think of a few reasons but none compelling.

But then, I removed a perfectly good 4.3L from an S10 pickup and stuffed an L31 in its place. So there you go.
I think if you disable the ABS, it is possible to practice those 180 direction change moves like Rockford in his 74 Firebird?