98 5.7 L31 to early 5.3 swap Any help appreciated

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathanb1488

Reaction score
Alright guys I ended up spinning a bearing and am needing to throw a "get me by" 305 in till I can get it rebuilt or buy a crate. I've got a mid 80's early 90's 5.3 that is good but I have to make it work with the computer. I know I'm going to have to swap the top end over pretty much and the timing set because of it being a crank trigger. Is there any tips or anything that wont just bolt in, or possibly any kits you guys know of that would make it easier? Thanks in advance.

88_stepside

Reaction score
but however if youre swapping a 5.3 i dont know a whole lot but i do know that usually you can make it work with the trans with an adapter plate or something of the sort. other than that youll need swap motor mounts, and a whole ecu and harness that goes with said 5.3, unless you go standalone but that can get pricey just for a daily driver.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
You vaguely imply that the recipient vehicle is a Vortec. You need to spell out a lot better what the donor engine is and what the recipient vehicle is. Biggest problem I foresee with stuffing a non-Vortec 305 in place of a Vortec 350 is that the chambers on a 350 will be bigger than that of a 305. If you have a worst case carb'd 305 you could end up with a horrendously low CR.