98 5.7 K1500 Cranks But Won't Start. Fuel Pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NoahNeedsHelp

Reaction score
I parked my truck, ten minutes later it cranked but wouldn't start. I used to be able to hear the high pitch whining sound of the fuel pump when I turned the key on without starting the engine. I no longer hear the pump with the key in "ON" position. Does this mean the pump needs replaced, or could it be something else?

Please and Thank You for your help!

New plugs, wires, cap, rotor and fuel filter about a month prior, also new battery.

130,000 miles

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fuel pump is a good bet. Maybe someone here knows of a test. Some kind of bypass to provide temp fuel to make sure the engine will otherwise start. I would start by checking connections to the pump since it makes no noise at all. Someone should know the best way to do that. Good luck, welcome to the forum and please report back to the thread with how you solved the problem.

NoahNeedsHelp

Reaction score
its a '98. I just ordered a fuel pressure gauge, so I'll check that when it gets here and report back.

I appreciate the input.

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That high pitch noise was a good indication of bad things coming. As mine got older and noisy it was not long. Did you check fuse/relays to make sure pump is powered up ? Check ground as well. Mine quit in the driveway at home.. The bowtie gods was riding with me that day, no tow truck needed lol
Mine was around 130-140 k when it went out mine is 98 as well.

Last edited:

NoahNeedsHelp

Reaction score
Yeah I was told the high pitch meant it could go out any minute or go on for years, for me it was about 6 months, if in fact it is the pump that's responsible for the no start. I'll check the relay and ground and report back. Same year and mileage as yours, coincidentally.

Thank you for your response.

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Hell. Mine started whining the day after I got it. Lasted a year and two months after that before it finally died.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Awest623

A juicy girl got me, again
Reaction score
Sitting at idle I could hear it cutting in and out. Still needed to go do stuff. About died on me on the interstate. Couldn't go over 1800 rpm or the power would disappear

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Oldblue98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I was told the high pitch meant it could go out any minute or go on for years, for me it was about 6 months, if in fact it is the pump that's responsible for the no start. I'll check the relay and ground and report back. Same year and mileage as yours, coincidentally.

Thank you for your response.
Yours has the same miles as mine did when my pump quit , best I remember it was around 130-140 K when the pump quit. Was easier for me to lift bed and sit it back to do mine. Considering how high I would have had to lift it to remove tank.