98 305 to 350 swap starter issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
theres a "you're so old caves weren't invented yet" joke here, just it involves tape readers. and I'm not smart or witty enough to come up with one...

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep. But we sure as hell need to do something better for the kids that are born into this cycle of welfare poverty.
We as a society need to find a path for them to get the **** out of it.
Welfare is not the answer but if we cut off welfare entirely the problem becomes much worse.
The entire ******* problem and everything you think about and everyfucking thing your life revolves around and every ****** action you take when you are piss poor revolves around you being ******* poor.
Even when you are a young kid who had no choice at all every ******* minute of every ******* day is about trying to survive.
A really strong chance that Dad is long gone and Mom is trying with ******* nothing from him.
I dug my way out of that ******* **** life because I had the opportunity to crawl the **** out of that **** life.
I had a way out and I took it.
A lot of people do not have a way out.
What a grand self indulgent notion .
Floating on a cloud of judgemental satisfaction while peeing from above on the poor.
Who did you hire this week?
What brave person who wants the **** out of that life did you hire this week?
We only get to ***** and whine if we are trying to help.
Doing ******* nothing is just crying.
You want to solve the welfare,problem?
Man up and hire somebody.
I'm in a business that people with no formal training, no degrees, not even a high school diploma - can get into, and with hard work, make 6 figures. I'm not talking "get rich" money, but if you're used to being broke, or "just getting by", that's damned good money by a long shot. However, it's hazard pay for sometimes-dangerous work.

We go through more wannabes than you could ever imagine. They come in for the meet and greet and I guarantee you none of us sugarcoat what this business is. Just reality. Not to scare them but to be sure they're aware before they commit. I haven't cranked the numbers as there's no sense in it but I can easily guess that while many of them seem gung-ho at that first meeting, less than 5% of them actually show up even for the first night of ride-along. Still less of them return after a night or two and continue riding along during the training process (which is paid.)

Most of the guys I work with are old hands at the business. New guys are rare. Like I said, plenty of wannabes, but they eliminate themselves very quickly. A no show/no call is the quickest way. Either they had too much time to re-think getting into this mess, or someone bent their ear and talked them out of it. Seems like nobody wants to work anymore, no matter the financial compensation carrot that is being dangled in front of them.

Edit - and by the way I don't know how we get so off-target in these threads but it doesn't bother me, I dig the discussions we get into, especially when you can see the thread itself is already a dead-end from the perspective of the original subject.

Richard

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'm in a business that people with no formal training, no degrees, not even a high school diploma - can get into, and with hard work, make 6 figures. I'm not talking "get rich" money, but if you're used to being broke, or "just getting by", that's damned good money by a long shot. However, it's hazard pay for sometimes-dangerous work.

We go through more wannabes than you could ever imagine. They come in for the meet and greet and I guarantee you none of us sugarcoat what this business is. Just reality. Not to scare them but to be sure they're aware before they commit. I haven't cranked the numbers as there's no sense in it but I can easily guess that while many of them seem gung-ho at that first meeting, less than 5% of them actually show up even for the first night of ride-along. Still less of them return after a night or two and continue riding along during the training process (which is paid.)

Most of the guys I work with are old hands at the business. New guys are rare. Like I said, plenty of wannabes, but they eliminate themselves very quickly. A no show/no call is the quickest way. Either they had too much time to re-think getting into this mess, or someone bent their ear and talked them out of it. Seems like nobody wants to work anymore, no matter the financial compensation carrot that is being dangled in front of them.

Edit - and by the way I don't know how we get so off-target in these threads but it doesn't bother me, I dig the discussions we get into, especially when you can see the thread itself is already a dead-end from the perspective of the original subject.

Richard

Something something beware of an old man in a profession where men die young.

Aarondash

Reaction score
So far out of alignment that it won't engage the flywheel or drags so bad it can't turn? (Either the stud isn't welded true to the block, or the modified starter isn't located properly 'cause there's no knurl on the stud, and a sloppy fit in the hole of the starter nose?)

This is a direct-drive starter...right? Did you install the brace on the front of the starter, to the block?

Did you verify the stud is straight side-to-side, and front-to-back like was suggested in the other thread?

Why start more than one thread on the same starter?
Starter doesn’t even spin when it’s in the position where it’s supposed to be. Doesn’t even shoot out. Is there supposed to be a ground from the starter to the frame or something?

Aarondash

Reaction score
not trying to be a DK either, in the other post on this: "When motor was out I made sure starter aligned. Seems like it mounts kinda where it’s supposed to be." kinda close is great when throwing grenades. the picture of the rusty block showed a new oil pan gasket, something else was going on in it.

best advice your getting here is to get a known running engine.
Starter shoots out and spins when it’s just hanging there. All hooked up. I made just it actually works. I bolted it and boom. Doesn’t work. Doesn’t even shoot out or nothing.

Aarondash

Reaction score
So far out of alignment that it won't engage the flywheel or drags so bad it can't turn? (Either the stud isn't welded true to the block, or the modified starter isn't located properly 'cause there's no knurl on the stud, and a sloppy fit in the hole of the starter nose?)

This is a direct-drive starter...right? Did you install the brace on the front of the starter, to the block?

Did you verify the stud is straight side-to-side, and front-to-back like was suggested in the other thread?

Why start more than one thread on the same starter?
So I pulled the little cover so you can see the flex plate flywheel thing and the starter was aligned. But doesn’t shoot out and engage when it’s bolted in but does when it’s not in the truck. Is there supposed to be a ground from the starter to the frame somewhere?

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I pulled the little cover so you can see the flex plate flywheel thing and the starter was aligned. But doesn’t shoot out and engage when it’s bolted in but does when it’s not in the truck. Is there supposed to be a ground from the starter to the frame somewhere?
Ground from the starter to the frame? That would be through the engine, which is grounded directly to the battery via the main negative cable.

Richard