98 305 to 350 swap starter issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ Fookin' marvelous. Again.

And the life-ring with the sandwich pretty much describes the entire Welfare system. Zero expectations, zero gratitude, zero responsibility, zero improvement. In fact, the War on Poverty is such a total and dismal failure that there's more parasites than ever. Every generation of deadbeats is larger than the previous generation.

The saddest part is that "most" poverty in this country is due to folks conceiving kids they know in advance they can't afford. Which makes "most" poverty in this country VOLUNTARY.

They just expect the Taxpayer to pick up the check for...everything important. That leaves loads of money for tattoos, snack foods, and illegal drugs. When the money runs out...have another kid so you're eligible for more Free Stuff. Our Welfare system prevents people from learning from their bad decisions.

Aarondash

Reaction score
"Sparked"?

From where? Where did you "tap" the screwdriver?

You must have power to the main (large) lug on the solenoid, and power to the "S" terminal on the solenoid during cranking. No power to the "S" terminal--or NOT ENOUGH power to the "S" terminal, and the starter solenoid doesn't engage, and the starter doesn't crank.

It's hugely common for the last foot of wire to the "S" terminal (Purple, but often fades to kinda "pink") to become corroded. I fought that on my '97 K2500, and about a dozen other vehicles that I don't have photos of.

If the starter "sounded weird", I'm guessing that it's either worn-out, not shimmed properly/worn flywheel teeth, or you're expecting a direct-drive starter noise but you have a gear-reduction starter.

Photos--in focus, nicely-cropped and resized would be nice.
I tapped the negative and positive on the starter together. It has power because i took it off and turned the key and I can hear it spin. And it used to start the 305 just fine. But for some reason in the truck it doesn’t want to spin. And motors not locked up I can spin it with a wrench on the crank pulley.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You hear it spin. Is the solenoid kicking the Bendix drive out ?
Or is it just spinning?
Did you just touch the terminals with a screwdriver or did you try to manually start it using a screwdriver to jump the terminals?
Those different actions.

Aarondash

Reaction score
You hear it spin. Is the solenoid kicking the Bendix drive out ?
Or is it just spinning?
Did you just touch the terminals with a screwdriver or did you try to manually start it using a screwdriver to jump the terminals?
Those different actions.
When it’s out of the truck but still hooked up. Just hanging there. I can hear it work. And it worked on the 305 that it was on. I bridged the starter and it sparked. So starter does work just doesn’t when it’s in the truck. It’s acting like it’s stuck on something like the flywheel or something.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So far out of alignment that it won't engage the flywheel or drags so bad it can't turn? (Either the stud isn't welded true to the block, or the modified starter isn't located properly 'cause there's no knurl on the stud, and a sloppy fit in the hole of the starter nose?)

This is a direct-drive starter...right? Did you install the brace on the front of the starter, to the block?

Did you verify the stud is straight side-to-side, and front-to-back like was suggested in the other thread?

Why start more than one thread on the same starter?

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So far out of alignment that it won't engage the flywheel or drags so bad it can't turn? (Either the stud isn't welded true to the block, or the modified starter isn't located properly 'cause there's no knurl on the stud, and a sloppy fit in the hole of the starter nose?)

This is a direct-drive starter...right? Did you install the brace on the front of the starter, to the block?

Did you verify the stud is straight side-to-side, and front-to-back like was suggested in the other thread?

Why start more than one thread on the same starter?
I have my theory on that. I don't think he liked hearing the truth of the situation with that engine in the last thread he started. Seems now that he has physically tried it the way he was going to; about the only way to save that engine is in a bellhousing mounted starter application like my old Saginaw trans was.

I am completely not trying to be a DK, but rather real as to the situation. I think he could hack up 10 starters and it not turn over.

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
not trying to be a DK either, in the other post on this: "When motor was out I made sure starter aligned. Seems like it mounts kinda where it’s supposed to be." kinda close is great when throwing grenades. the picture of the rusty block showed a new oil pan gasket, something else was going on in it.

best advice your getting here is to get a known running engine.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're in Georgia. I'm pretty sure you can score a complete 350 from marketplace for under $200. You might have to buy a gasket set and reassemble it, but you'll be money ahead

And the life-ring with the sandwich pretty much describes the entire Welfare system. Zero expectations, zero gratitude, zero responsibility, zero improvement. In fact, the War on Poverty is such a total and dismal failure that there's more parasites than ever. Every generation of deadbeats is larger than the previous generation.

The saddest part is that "most" poverty in this country is due to folks conceiving kids they know in advance they can't afford. Which makes "most" poverty in this country VOLUNTARY.

They just expect the Taxpayer to pick up the check for...everything important. That leaves loads of money for tattoos, snack foods, and illegal drugs. When the money runs out...have another kid so you're eligible for more Free Stuff. Our Welfare system prevents people from learning from their bad decisions.
Yep. All of those good paying jobs where you could start out in a trade as a pumpkin and learn your trade and become a master craftsman and then pass that knowledge on are long gone to china or vietnam or mexico.
Those were the jobs and the craft and the trade that allowed you to buy a house and put your kids through school and had health insurance and a retirement.
I know that some of you old farts made your way through your trade in the same way I did.
You start out as a young kid thinking you know everything.
All full of what they used to call "piss and vinegar"
If you are lucky, you find a mentor.
Some old venteran of the psychic wars.
And that rotten old ******* teaches you how to stay alive.
Thats step number one when you are a dumb **** kid.
Staying alive. Young and stupid and bold will kill you.
Just as sure as old and worn out and got away with it for twenty years will kill you.
In between those two exteremes is that ramping up of knowledge that you learn from those rotten old farts.
Those days sitting around the welding table while everybody brings a pot luck lunch.
Everybody chipping in because your daughter is selling girl scout cookies.
Everybody shows up with a truck and helps you move and we have a barbeque party already planned.
That feeling of becoming good at my trade to the point that I was accepted and I became the ******* guy.
I didnt have to fight for it, nobody ever tried to put me down.
I had to earn it by working like a dog to prove that I was worth thier trust and that I was not dangerious.
If you work in an industry where your slack ass stupidity can kill people.
Trust is everything.
I started in aerospace,prototype shops.
We manufactured some pretty damn amazing military equipment.
In the early days the HUMVEE had no underseat armour.
Any homemade IED would kill the driver and passenger.
We engineered and tested and manufactured the underseat armor for HUMVEE
We, by contract, were only allowed to test the plates with a 9mm.
Like that has **** all of anything to do with an IED.
Aint ******* nobody laying in the road to shoot into the cab with some crappy 9mm Tokarov.
We took our prototype seat brackets out on the desert and shot them with every ******* round we could think of.
They were spec at regular A36 steel.
We fabbed them out of Hastalloy with an A286 backing plate and layers of composite fill.
And it ******* worked.
We were so ******* relieved and happy as hell.
It was awesome. We had finnally figured it out.
The ******* stress of trying to do everything we could do to come up with a explosion proof seat bracket.
They bought 200 hundred brackets from us and some accounting full bird chicken decided that it was to expensive.
This **** showed up at the shop with his KFC extra crispy hat on.
And were not the only shop working on this.
Every legit proto shop in the country was working this problem.
We were all talking to each other and swapping engineering and test results every damn day.
We put toghether a whole crap load of information from engineers and fabricators from all over the world.
This is before the internet.
Back then if you were manufacturing any type of military hardware that had NATO involvement you had to get up at 1 or 2 am and call your contact in quebec and get him to call Paris or Brussels and try to fugure out what the rules were for trying to manufacture and export military equipment.
That ******** started because we manufactured the electrical contacts for kidney diallysis machines.
Which may lead to more people surviving.
The fuckery that goes on is just pathetic
We all of us back in the late 80s early 90s were really experimenting with CNC controlling and how to apply that to atrificial limbs and heart valves and if that was even a possibilty.
All with 486 desktops running fake pentiums made in India
And paper tape readers and even punchcards.
You really havent lived untill youve been through the absolute computer fuckery and dedication it takes to bring your entire crew in on a Saturday morning and go over every linear inch of a 400 foot long paper tape looking for chads and splicing it all back toghether and test running it through an analog tape reader so that it will work on Monday.
And every bit of that tape is hand calculated and hand punched.
Just a a guy with a pencil and some math.
But to get to that level of craft you had to know your bend deductions and tool offsets and die clearences and how to avoid slug pulls.
Turret setup, Turret rotation, Etcc..
We always kept a bin of Brachs candy in the Punch shop.
Not only because it was about 125 degrees.
If you are trying to punch thin material like .030 copper with an .005 die clearence without pulling a burr.
Eat a piece of candy.
Cut a 1/4 x 1/2 strip out of the plastic candy wrapper.
Put a little film of oil on the non burring side of the die
Put the plastic on that side of the die shoe.
A candy wrapper will bump your die .002 to .003 when you crush depending on how much you put in and how long you cut it.
Punch and die obviously have to be ground and true and sharp.
But this crappy old school die alignment trick when done carefully will let you high speed punch .030 copper without a burr.
Its all about the slug pulls

Thats the story about how people lost thier legs in IEDs and humvees.
They

And not a ******* bit of all of this applies in China.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Yep. But we sure as hell need to do something better for the kids that are born into this cycle of welfare poverty.
We as a society need to find a path for them to get the **** out of it.
Welfare is not the answer but if we cut off welfare entirely the problem becomes much worse.
The entire ******* problem and everything you think about and everyfucking thing your life revolves around and every ****** action you take when you are piss poor revolves around you being ******* poor.
Even when you are a young kid who had no choice at all every ******* minute of every ******* day is about trying to survive.
A really strong chance that Dad is long gone and Mom is trying with ******* nothing from him.
I dug my way out of that ******* **** life because I had the opportunity to crawl the **** out of that **** life.
I had a way out and I took it.
A lot of people do not have a way out.
What a grand self indulgent notion .
Floating on a cloud of judgemental satisfaction while peeing from above on the poor.
Who did you hire this week?
What brave person who wants the **** out of that life did you hire this week?
We only get to ***** and whine if we are trying to help.
Doing ******* nothing is just crying.
You want to solve the welfare,problem?
Man up and hire somebody.