98 305 to 350 swap starter issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aarondash

Reaction score
So I bought a 98 k1500 and it had a 305 in it but the block was cracked. The truck came with a spare 350 motor to swap in. I took the 305 out and started putting the 350 in. I was trying to put the starter on but it would not fit. On the 305 there are two holes for the starter to be mounted to the block but on the 350 there’s a stud in one of the holes. The starter will not fit anyway you put it. I was reading more about it and I saw that I’m not supposed to have a stud there. It’s only supposed to be two bolts that go in. The stud looks like it was welded back onto the block. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can mount the starter? I was thinking about cutting that stud off and mounting the starter where it needs to be and just give it a few tack welds to hold it in. If anyone can help with better ideas please help.
You must be registered for see images attach

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like the prior owner somehow broke the corner of the starter mounting pad and welded the stud into place, probably crooked. How far off is the alignment for the other starter bolt hole to the block?

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
they broke the corner of the block and welded a stud there, But i still don't see why the starter wont mount even with the crappy repair. Instead of the stud you would be using a long bolt.

Hopefully the weld holds

Aarondash

Reaction score
Looks like the prior owner somehow broke the corner of the starter mounting pad and welded the stud into place, probably crooked. How far off is the alignment for the other starter bolt hole to the block?
When motor was out I made sure starter aligned. Seems like it mounts kinda where it’s supposed to be. But in the truck the starter can’t fit because it hits the transmission and not enough room to slide the stud in

Aarondash

Reaction score
they broke the corner of the block and welded a stud there, But i still don't see why the starter wont mount even with the crappy repair. Instead of the stud you would be using a long bolt.

Hopefully the weld holds
The starter doesn’t have enough room to slide into the stud without touching the transmission first. Are these blocks not weldable like to hold it in place?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would making a slit in the starter to go around the stud work? Don’t really wanna pull the transmission away from motor
It's already weakened with the welded stud, do you really wanna Mickey Mouse your truck after all this work you've done?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Would making a slit in the starter to go around the stud work? Don’t really wanna pull the transmission away from motor

Even if you did, not only is the truck further ghetto rigged but that slit won't help with the aforementioned tilt to get the starter in.