98 305 to 350 swap starter issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't even have water plumbed to my shop - YET! :lol:
I have a washer, dryer, dishwasher, sink, shower, toilet, full size side by side fridge/freezer, convection oven, flat screen TV and recliner at the shop. I can work, take a lunch break, take a nap or stop and catch a movie or game.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a washer, dryer, dishwasher, sink, shower, toilet, full size side by side fridge/freezer, convection oven, flat screen TV and recliner at the shop. I can work, take a lunch break, take a nap or stop and catch a movie or game.
I'm gonna squirt.

That's been my goal for about thirty years, and it never seems to get any closer.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The day after tommorrow I will be older than I ever thought I would be.
My wife reminded me that it was my birthday.
I had to do the math to figure it out.
Twice. Because I didnt believe it.
And I really dont want a party.
Lets not celibrate my impending death and try to make me behave like an adult.
Thats not going to happen.
Not while Im alive.
I have a lot of stories.
Everyone has a lot of stories.
And they are all about family and friends and sometimes random people Ive met and had a 5 minute interaction with and never saw them again.
And many of these experiances didnt seem to matter much at the time.
Because they were stupid and dangerious and dumb
But they end up being comedy.
Because we accidently survived.
When you get older and those heart and soul brother and sister friends die you start to understand that those people and the crazy ****** up insane things youve done would never have happened if you hadnt bonded and formed a friendship with them.
I was a piss poor kid who didnt want to be piss poor anymore.
I had the want to get out
I only got out because I found friends who also were just ******* done with it.
Some of them are long gone.
Some of them are dying.
Some of them are homeless drug addicts.
Some of them came to my house for Christmas.
When you are young life can be full of petty meaningless stupid little arguments that turn into long term ******** hatred out of pure juvinile stuborness.
When you get older you start to understand that holding people close is much more important.
Reaching out may bight you in the ass.
That person may treat you like a fool again like they did the last time.
But you tried and they didnt.
If you see someone drowding and you throw them a life ring
And they are pissed off because the life ring didnt have a sandwich on it?
Fuckem, you are being punked

Aarondash

Reaction score
Hey so I have a 1998 k1500 and it had a 305 in it but I swapped to a 350. I went to start it it after the swap and it wouldn’t start. The starter wouldn’t spin over. So I checked and I found two grounds not hooked up. After I hooked them up the starter spun but sounded weird. A spun for maybe 2 seconds and stopped. I turned the key again and nothing. Whole truck has power to radio and gauges but starter won’t spin over. It’s a good battery with a jumper hooked up to it just for a little extra power but still nothing. Anyone have an idea of what it could be? Everything is hooked up. All grounds and wires. And starter is getting power. I tapped a screwdriver on it and it sparked. Please help.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Sparked"?

From where? Where did you "tap" the screwdriver?

You must have power to the main (large) lug on the solenoid, and power to the "S" terminal on the solenoid during cranking. No power to the "S" terminal--or NOT ENOUGH power to the "S" terminal, and the starter solenoid doesn't engage, and the starter doesn't crank.

It's hugely common for the last foot of wire to the "S" terminal (Purple, but often fades to kinda "pink") to become corroded. I fought that on my '97 K2500, and about a dozen other vehicles that I don't have photos of.

If the starter "sounded weird", I'm guessing that it's either worn-out, not shimmed properly/worn flywheel teeth, or you're expecting a direct-drive starter noise but you have a gear-reduction starter.

Photos--in focus, nicely-cropped and resized would be nice.