98 305 cranks, doesn’t start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98blu

Reaction score
Resistor bypass method: (cheap, but not what I would recommend personally. Fools the PassLock system into working)

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/how-to-bypass-the-security.39407/

Mail order tune from Black Bear Performance: ($300, but the only way to truly disable PassLock. Plus you get several other benefits and free re-tunes for life if you want to change something)

https://www.blackbearperformance.com/

You may be able to find someone to disable PassLock in the tune locally for cheaper if you have any speed shops around. You'd be looking for someone with EFILive, HPTuners, or JET DST/TunerCat.
Does that backbear include the pass lock disable in all the tuners? Or just one

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Does that backbear include the pass lock disable in all the tuners? Or just one

Not sure exactly what you mean... The only tune they offer for these trucks is the traditional mail order tune. None of the other options apply unless you've swapped to the newer 0411 PCM.

You'll have to specifically request that they disable PassLock as part of the tune, they normally leave it alone unless you ask.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
At least on VATS system, I had injector pulse and spark get cut off when I attempted to start my truck before getting VATS delete on engine/ECU swap. I confirmed with a fuel pressure gauge and led test light on injector. Both fell off immediately after firing.

Not sure how the passlock system works, but probably similar....

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure exactly what you mean... The only tune they offer for these trucks is the traditional mail order tune. None of the other options apply unless you've swapped to the newer 0411 PCM.

You'll have to specifically request that they disable PassLock as part of the tune, they normally leave it alone unless you ask.
HP Tuners works for 98+

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At least on VATS system, I had injector pulse and spark get cut off when I attempted to start my truck before getting VATS delete on engine/ECU swap. I confirmed with a fuel pressure gauge and led test light on injector. Both fell off immediately after firing.

Not sure how the passlock system works, but probably similar....
Passlock 1 is an evolution of the original VATS. People use the terms interchangeably.

OnxyTheK3500

Reaction score
I have the same issue, i believe, my truck is cranking, but no start, 2000 k3500 454, i had to replace the engine on it. now i keep thinking i got the timing wrong, but im 95% sure its correct, i exhausted all the timing setting multiple times, but my security light is solid on, and from reading this forum its tied in with the evo sensor, and i have mine disconnected because i had to replace it with the eliminator kit. will that cause my crank no start? battery was disconnected alot

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
and from reading this forum its tied in with the evo sensor, and i have mine disconnected because i had to replace it with the eliminator kit. will that cause my crank no start?

FWIU, no. The EVO column sensor and pump solenoid should have no effect on the PassLock system. The only way anything related to the EVO could effect the PassLock system is if you removed the module under the dash that the two systems share.

Also based on the fact that your truck won't start at all I'm not 100% convinced you have a PassLock issue. From what I've read usually when the PassLock system is acting up the truck will start, but will only run for a second or two before dying. If it is a PassLock issue, it doesn't seem to be the usual one.