98 305 cranks, doesn’t start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98blu

Reaction score
I have a 1998 c1500 with the 305(5.0) and I’ve replaced the fuel pump and in-line filter, ground straps, spark plugs and wires, crankshaft position sensor and distributor cap and rotor. The motor is getting everything it needs (fuel, spark and air) and has compression and correct timing. Yet it does not start, it will fire for a couple seconds and die. Any suggestions to check if that I haven’t already done?

98blu

Reaction score
Is the security light flashing? Have you had the battery disconnected or dead since it last ran?
10-1 it's a passlock issue.
I’ve already had to bypass the security system once and the light hasn’t existed since. And I’ve charged the battery from almost dead but I’ve never disconnected it

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The light doesn't come on at all, ever? It should come on when you turn the key on before you start it
What method of bypass did you use? I *think* you can use a resistor to do it, and I know you can have it disabled in the tune, but those are the only ways I know of getting around it.

98blu

Reaction score
The light doesn't come on at all, ever? It should come on when you turn the key on before you start it
What method of bypass did you use? I *think* you can use a resistor to do it, and I know you can have it disabled in the tune, but those are the only ways I know of getting around it.
Grounded out the purple wire on the connector to a working security box after doing a quick relearn, and yes the light worked before I did the bypass and now it hasn’t came on since

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with that method, but what you're describing is classic passlock symptoms.
I'd do the security relearn. The light may be burned out.