97 Tahoe with 4/6 Belltech Drop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LovesDunes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not so much an update on the LS swap into the Tahoe as it is an update to the cleaning and rearranging of things under the hood.

I have always hated how messy things are under the hood. The vacuum booster, ABS controller and mess of wires is crazy.

You must be registered for see images attach

We swapped out the vacuum booster in favor of a hydro boost unit, removed the mass of ABS stuff and cleaned up the wiring a bit.

I prefer the look and function of the hydro boost, but the lines coming off of the unit look sloppy.

A quick trip to the wrecking yard and we snagged the hydroboost lines off of a 1995 GMC 3500. MUCH Nicer...

LovesDunes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
More Spring cleaning. The plan was to run the headlamp harness and hood release cable inside the fender. The problem with that is the fender still looks messy with all of the holes.

Does anyone know what this bracket is for?

It's in the way for our plan so I removed it.

GM really put a lot of work into this thing. All I ever see is wires zip tied to it.

With some spare sheets of ABS and pieces of aluminum we made these panels to help clean up the engine bay.

The cowl drains will have to stay for now. When time allows I'll address that.

The aluminum sits behind the ABS. There are standoffs behind the panel assembly to allow room for any wires.

The passenger side still needs some love. The overflow tank is massive and the A/C stuff needs re-arranging.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to clean up the A/C components I would love to hear them.

LovesDunes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So we have been driving the Tahoe for a few hundred miles after the 5.3 swap and everything has been awesome. Then all of the sudden things aren't so awesome.

Running really rough and no power. Check engine light comes on, and not only is it on, but it's flashing. I have access to a fancy ass Snap On scanner and the only code it gives me is P0300. It's as generic of a code as a code can be.

A quick search of the internet tells me it could be...

Spark Plugs
Oxygen Sensor
Spark Plug Wires
Intake Manifold Gaskets
Fuel Filter
Catalytic Converter(s)
Blown Head Gasket
Bent Valve

Can anyone think of anything else that might cause a P0300 code?

I'm going to poke around and see if this scanner can tell me anything else.

Last edited:

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you pull the stored codes? I know with some of the snap on stuff you can access codes that happened in the past. That may be helpful.
Also 0300 is multiple random misfire. Check all your grounds.

LovesDunes

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you pull the stored codes? I know with some of the snap on stuff you can access codes that happened in the past. That may be helpful.
Also 0300 is multiple random misfire. Check all your grounds.

Yep, as far as I know I got all the codes. The Snap On scanner has a lot of buttons, but getting the codes was actually pretty straight forward.

I'll be sure to check all my grounds.

Another thing I notice is the really strong smell of unburned fuel from the exhaust even with just a few seconds of idling.