97 Silverado RCSB 1/4 mile

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fast450ridr

Reaction score
Gears? Just put a shorter set of tires on back at the track. You can keep your highway gears, and your weight transfers to the rear wheels faster.

When I autocross my Mustang I swap on a set of shaved Falkens that are a full 1" shorter than my street tires. It brings my rpm right up into my power band while lowering the car lower than any Vette that shows up. Plus, the smaller tire size means that I can fit all four wheels and tires in the car along with a jack and a passenger.

I have 255/60-15 et street r's that are a full 1.25" smaller diameter than factory. It's a toy and I'm not afraid of low gears. The rear needs repaired/replaced anyway.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
With 275/60 - 15s, 4.11 gears, and a 2500 stall TC I can launch right in the beginning of my power curve. They all helped. Now I need to do like Kenny did and get a TrueTrack:Big Laugh:. I have to feed it the throttle on takeoff or ruin my launch. I'm also working on lowering my rear end which, like Erik said, should help in weight transfer. It's not a race truck, it's just fun blowing Eco-Boost doors' off with an old POS TBI truck.:burnout:

fast450ridr

Reaction score
Finally getting back to this project. This year has been a whirlwind since April.

Since my last post, I replaced the gears and differential with 4.10 gears and Eaton posi from quick performance, converted the rear brakes to disk brakes using brackets from Cunningham machine, and swapped to 0411 pcm.

The 0411 swap was very simple thanks to Lextech's spreadsheet and a few YouTube videos. Taking it one wire at a time made it super easy. The truck idled terribly on first startup, but started fairly easily. Thorough research led me to unplugging the egr valve, clearing the idle up and making it idle very smoothly.

I still need to fix some minor leaks in the brake system, remove the parking brake cables, and break in the new gears. September is shot with vacation plans my wife and I made in the spring. I'm hopeful to hit the track in October with favorable conditions to run a low et.

HeavyAsAChevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are the disc brakes light than drum? I know they’re just better, but I wondered if they had that advantage.

fast450ridr

Reaction score
Any updates on times with ur new setup ?
The 4.10 gears were junk and made a ton of noise. Don't know if the cause was install related or just the way the gears were made. I replaced them with Motive 4.56 gears that make zero noise now.

I finally got to the track in November and ran a 15.4x on my first pass with the 4.56 gears. My transmission flared pretty badly on shifts during this pass, so I think it was about to give up. On my second attempt, I had some hellacious wheel hop during my burnout that resulted in a broken transmission, ending my day before the second pass.

The combo of 4.56 gears and 27.5" diameter tires isn't optimal for the stock 5.7. 4.10 or 3.90 would've performed better, imo. The 4.56 gears will suit my new engine and trans combo much better.

My new combo is a 408 LS with stock LS3 heads, Holley Hi Ram, cam spec'd to turn some rpm, and a 4L80e trans with 4500 stall Circle D converter. I am very excited to get it running soon.