97' Lil' Blue Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itgm

Reaction score
Well, everyone and their brother kept telling me to get a torque converter since I'm doing transmission.
I was going to get the blazer trans, as recommended in threads here, but I didn't want the transmission shop pointing fingers should something bad happen.
I can at least say that it'll be a long time before I need another torque converter, if at all.

So, I ordered precision industries vigilante torque converter through the trans shop. It was much more than I was wanting to pay. But, same as my lift kit... go big or go home.:D

Last edited:

itgm

Reaction score
Since I'm waiting on the trans, I started on the small things.
New horn installed. It's not obnoxious, but will definitely get your attention. Need to find my heat shrink to finish it off.
You must be registered for see images attach

itgm

Reaction score
The new horn is such an eyesore, so I'm building a cover for it. This will also keep it away from weather better.
I went to the salvage yard, and I now I have even more parts to install. I got the auto-dim mirror, camaro dual fans, and a few small things.
My material for custom skid plate showed up today too, can't wait to start on it.
If all that wasn't good enough, I got word my transmission and torque converter have been dynoed and will be here next week.

itgm

Reaction score
I cannot believe how quick this transmission shifts, it's even quicker that my ole' porsche 911!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I cannot believe how quick this transmission shifts, it's even quicker that my ole' porsche 911!
Before I had my 4L60E rebuilt in my 97, I programmed it with a Jet hand held tuner. It made the trans shift so much quicker. In February, I blew the rear end, the 2 weeks later the trans. So I rebuilt the rear end. 373s with an Eaton trutrack. When the trans blew, I had it rebuilt at a trans shop. HD master rebuild kit with Corvette servo's. It shifts as quick with the OE program for the trans, as it did with the program, and the OE trans did. It will bark second gear. It cost me $1100 to do the rear end, and 2 weeks later, $2800 to do the trans. I did all of the work on the rear end my self, but I didn't touch anything on the trans. Just drove the truck there with no R or 4 gear I think it was. The rebuilt trans has a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty. I'm very happy with there work.

itgm

Reaction score
Well, she's down again. I need to replace the transfer case, and I'm trying to decide whether I want to get one used or get one that's been re-manufactured. The one from gearshop1945 looks to be a good option considering the price, the 18 month warranty, and the fact that they can get it to me in about a week. I'm also waiting to here back from transfercasepro, since I could pick it up and not paying shipping since they're local.
I don't know if there is a 4wd indicator light on the dash, but I need one.

I went to get a custom exhaust, and got a crap job instead. I'm probably going to cut it or rip it out. The welds suck and it looks like a pepboy special. Then the mechanic had it in 4wd when I left, and I drove it all the way back home at highway speeds not knowing.
In addition, through all my research it seems as if the QK2069 Transfer Case Saver Kit is a must have. I'm not sold on it yet though, and if anyone has any input on it or other suggestions I'm all ears.

I'll leave with a good picture of her on a lift at the exhaust shop.