97' Lil' Blue Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
Find a local reputable transmission builder, someone that can walk you around their shop to see the environment that they build there transmissions in. A dirty transmission shop = a trans that wont last that long due to contamination. The shop that is going to build my TH400 builds race transmissions for diesels and other various applications. Their shop has multiple clean rooms where the transmissions are assembled, then they test the transmissions for durability and longevity. They also offer an awesome warranty.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ What he said.

If you absolutely have to buy one online, I'd check out Hughes or Gearstar.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Related side note...

You didn't mention what transmission you have, but being a K1500 I'm going to guess a 4L60E (unless it's a diesel). If that's the case, you're probably going to break another one at some point. I killed a $2K+ built one in my red truck with stock wheels/tires and a stock V6. If you're keeping the truck around and plan on working it hard you may want to consider a 4L80E swap.

itgm

Reaction score
I found the following three shops that I'm going to call soon, or planning on:

PCM of NC
Performabuilt
RPM

In the meantime, I'm all ears for any other suggestions.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you can find a shop with a transmission dyno that tests the transmissions before they install them, that's a big plus.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found the following three shops that I'm going to call soon, or planning on:

PCM of NC
Performabuilt
RPM

In the meantime, I'm all ears for any other suggestions.
With those big tires you are running, I'd also vote 4L80e swap. Not a simple "plug and play" swap, but not that difficult either. It sounds like you want something fast, so probably not an option for your situation...?

2nd choice would be 60e Performabuilt. I think they do really good work per the YT videos I've seen, although I don't really know much about the internals of the 60e. I'm not sure about the other 2 companies.

I'm not sure how the warranty would work with an on-line purchase though. I'd research that.

Who is going to do the swap? You? What about your torque converter? Learn about converter installation and spacing. And do a cooler flush.

Last edited:

reservoir dog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hear a lot of bashing on the 60e, knock on wood , I've never had problems , and I have had a ton of high mileage GM suv's in the last 20yrs. I tow weekly just rarely over 4k lbs though. Maybe I'm just lucky. No high HP vehicles and I drive very gingerly.

itgm

Reaction score
Went with RPM Transmissions
Lvl V 4l60e
*Media blast transmission case
*RPM Level V 3-4 clutch pack
*RPM reinforced sunshell with collar and bearing
*Heavy Duty double caged 29 element sprag
*4L65E low roller clutch
*Billet 4th gear servo
*Transgo HD-2 shift kit
*Corvette Servo
*Wide 2-4 band
*Updated aluminum accumulator piston
*Bushing kit
*New shift solenoids
*New GM valve body spacer plate
*Seal & gasket kit
*GM Filter
*RPM Spec clutch and band clearances
*RPM sleeved input drum
*Billet over-run piston
*GM 5 pinion planetary gearsets - front and rear
*Each transmission is dyno-tested before shipping

I added one more option, but can't remember it right now. I'll update this once I get my receipt.

itgm

Reaction score
The option I forgot to list earlier: Sonnax SmarTech input drum

Is there anything worth upgrading or checking if it's in need of repair while the trans is out of the truck?

Last edited: