97' Lil' Blue Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itgm

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Let me introduce my Lil' Blue. A 97 GMC K1500 Z71 w/ Z82, and third door. She just has a 12" lift and 37" tires, and has been sitting for many years stored away. I've come to this conclusion because the tires look and feel brand new, yet their 6 yrs old. In addition to this, I've found a glass cheerwine bottle in the bed.

This is going to be a tough build, because not only is this my daily but a work horse for some land I just purchased. After so many years sitting, parts are starting to break because they haven't been used in awhile.
This going to be mainly function over form, but that doesn't mean I won't put a finishing touch on some things.
I've accumulated many parts, of which some haven't arrived yet. And, of course, the first parts were the Haynes Manual, and enough coolant to choke an elephant.
Here is a list of "TODO" parts that I have purchased (I'll follow up with other posts as their are installed/worked on):

Weathertech floor mats
Door hinge spring kit
Door handles (inside and out)
Door panels by Coverlay
Covercraft seat covers
Metra Dash Panels (finishing touches right now)
Hood release handle
Scitoo towing mirrors (finishing touches planned)
AMTIFO A8 HD 1080P Wireless Backup Camera with 7 Inch DVR Monitor and 4 cameras (I can't see a damn thing out of this truck)
20 inch LED light bar (Front)
2 6x3 inch LED flood lights (Sides or rear, I'll figure it out when I get there)
2 4 inch LED flood lights (Sides or rear, I'll figure it out when I get there)
Samsung galazy A7 10.4 inch (Either to replace instrument panel or add to it with Torque Pro)
OBDLink bluetooth for Torque Pro
Mishimoto hose clamps
ACDelco Gold 17D369MH Semi-Metallic Front Disc Brake Pad Set
ACDelco Gold 18A258SD Performance Front Disc Brake Rotor
Rustoleum rust reformer black spray paint (for underneath - finishing touch will be added... hopefully)
WIX Filters - 33481 Fuel (Complete In-Line) Filter
Hayden Automotive 1010 Power Steering Oil Cooler
Spectre Engine Air Filter SPE-HPR8038
ACDelco Professional 6K960 Standard V-Ribbed Serpentine Belt
GM Genuine Parts 15-2962 Air Conditioning Clutch Cycling Switch
ACDelco GM Original Equipment 15909834 Power Steering Pump
MOOG K5248 Stabilizer Bar Bushing Kit
ACDelco GM Original Equipment 19181880 Front Driver Side Wheel Speed Sensor
ACDelco GM Original Equipment 19181882 Front Passenger Side Wheel Speed Sensor
MOOG K6329 Control Arm Bushing Kit
MOOG K6395 Control Arm Bushing Kit
Fahren 9006/HB4 Low Beam and 9005/HB3 High Beam LED Headlight Bulbs Combo, 20000 Lumens Super Bright LED Headlights Conversion Kits 6500K Cool White, Pack of 4
DNA Motoring HL-OH-8P-C10-3G-BK-AM Black Amber Headlights Compatible with 95-99 Yukon C K Suburdan
Moog k6292 & k6577 ball joints
GM 158788 blower control module/resistor
GM 19207053 power steering reservoir
ACDelco output shaft seal

I'm sure this list will grow, so stay tuned!

itgm

Reaction score
Metra dash panel finishing touches (carbon fiber look)

Parts/Materials:

And current progress (finished???):

The darker paint is the base coat, 4 layers with 1 minute between.
The contact grip is the stencil, held down with painters tape and nails so it will be even and tight.
The 3M adhesive goes over the "stencil" with a 2 minute wait period. This prevents bleeding.
Finally, the lighter paint is final coat, 2 layers with 1 minute between

Last edited:

itgm

Reaction score
Things I'm trying to figure out/working on:

Why she drinks so much coolant? I need to setup Torque Pro and see live temp data, if any.
How to install a car stereo the right way (many youtube videos watched, and even more until I feel comfortable)
How to remove front interior trim around doors.
Why the voltage changes on every blink of turn signal.

Last edited:

itgm

Reaction score
Gave her a quick wash, and I found a mountain of chewing tobacco cans in the bed (but kept the cheerwine bottle):

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Some of the bigger Kroger stores in Houston, Texas area sell Cheerwine too. I was surprised; first heard of it in some books I read that were set in the Carolinas. I got one to try it, as I remember, it's cherry flavored,very sweet. Probably an acquired taste if you didn't grow up with it. But probably most regional soda pops are like that.
I switched to Dr Pepper zero sugar from the regular one, and it tastes pretty close without the sugar bomb. A&W root beer has a zero sugar version too, and it's almost impossible to tell the difference in the taste. My mom loves Coke zero sugar, but I can't stand the stuff....

MrPink

Bainisteoir Páirteanna
Reaction score
I'll have to find the A&W zero sugar, I like the Dr. Pepper Zero Sugar and the Pepsi, and we also have a Vernors(ginger ale) zero sugar up here but that is a regional soda as a whole as it was created in Michigan.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I'll have to find the A&W zero sugar, I like the Dr. Pepper Zero Sugar and the Pepsi, and we also have a Vernors(ginger ale) zero sugar up here but that is a regional soda as a whole as it was created in Michigan.
I've seen Vernors sodas in Kroger too, but since their headquarters is in Cincinnati they have a bunch of different things from that part of the country.

itgm

Reaction score
Progress is happening!

Ball joints replaced
Front brake pads and rotors replaced
Stabilizer bar bushings replaced
Continued progress of tint removal
One exterior handle replaced, another one to go
Rusty wheel caps gone, looks much better in my opinion