97 K3500 T Case Grinds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the chain is either loose or broken. The tcase doesn't leak or anything and it has been opened before based on the globs of rtv around the seam.

I know it should have a BW case but what model is it, I've been told it could be 4401 or 4470. The truck has a floor shift Tcase, not sire if they made a push button BW.

Jim Lowry

Reaction score
I just blew the transfer case, had to flatbed it home. Supercharged, do you still have that K3500 T-Case for a 1998?

Jim Lowry

Reaction score
GTG, thanks for responding. 32 spline Front and Rear fixed yoke 3 position switch transfer case needed. Rebuild it or buy a rebuild unit tested? Truck has a new transmission, $500 for a unit with more miles than mine seems risky. Rebuilt unit with turn in is a grand, what would you do? Looking at the numbers...

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hijacking thread,
Anyone have advice on how to remove the BW4401 From my K3500 CCLB? Transfer case gave it up a week ago and I can only move in 4lo. I ordered a reman from RockAuto but I'm not sure if I need to pull the tranny or not to get that beast out of there.

Crazydavez28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unbolt it, flip it, hold your mouth just right, and it drops right out.

I was hoping for.. remove driveshafts and yolks, transmission cross member, unbolt it, jack tranny up.as high as possible (to clear torsion bar cross member), slide tcase back, and rotate the front output towards the front of the truck until the shafts disengage. Then gtfo of the way while you let the jack down.

This reminds me of working on my fbody.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ahh, no I mean I yanked the drive shafts. That's a given. But the cross members stay in place. I don't think I had the trans jacked up into the tunnel at all either, I just finagled it back until the output and input disengaged, rotated it some, and flipped it nose down I believe. It's an art form. Getting it back in is even more fun because you don't want to **** up the new gasket but reverse order, so I stand by my "hold your mouth just right" analogy. I did it by myself on a lift so it was a bit easier to deal with the weight. Took 6 ****** tries though.