97 K3500 CC 454 project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
The ZZ502 cam will give you a noticeable HP gain, probably about 45 extra. If MPG is a concern, you should pursue a different route.

Yea I hold no expectations for mpg lol from what I read in the vortec 7.4 thread that much lift becomes an issue with the stock heads? That cam would require tuning to run right and have a chance to pass smog right? Genuinely curious because I know roughly what I WANT to do if it were all fair game but I'm in CA so I have to balance my desire to experiment with the ability to pass all their BS. Or find a "hot". Smog shop but I'd imagine it's expensive and I'd like to not rely on that.

Reaction score
The ZZ502 cam will give you a noticeable HP gain, probably about 45 extra. If MPG is a concern, you should pursue a different route.
Did you have to have it retuned when you changed cams? I also read somewhere you need to modify the head or valve springs, its too much lift for the stock setup (?)
But yes, the 502 cam is the one I've looked at most.

Reaction score
long time no update, was struggling with DMV paperwork. I bought it, but the it was processed as a lien sale and had $2100+ in fees!!! a few trips to dmv and finally got someone to help me and walked out for "only" $810. Big learning experience, one I won't forget. Title comes next week!
Still have a few things left before putting it on the road and smogging. Trans leak, couple broken lug studs, rework the exhaust and get a front driveshaft. Looking into a different set or rims and tires, to fix the rubbing and these ones are probably 10-15 year old MayPop's. Been occupied with other ventures, still have my 88 K1500 in the operating room for a few more things.