97 K3500 CC 454 project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Tick or no tick I'd just drive the thing till you have an actual problem. Some/many valve trains are noisy. I mean, how loud are we talking?

What's the overall plans for this truck?

I think that's the plan for now- f*ckit run it lol I'll try and link a video with the sound.

I've always wanted a heavier truck for towing and hauling, camping trips, ect. Also really wanted a big block or diesel crew cab. My little k1500 is awesome but not quite big enough for some jobs. Long term make it nice, restore and upgrade.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If it is eating the cam, sooner is better than later. When I did mine I did the cam and main/rod bearings in the truck. I found metal flakes in the bearings themselves but the journals looked pretty good so I sent it. Replaced the lifters too.

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
If it is eating the cam, sooner is better than later. When I did mine I did the cam and main/rod bearings in the truck. I found metal flakes in the bearings themselves but the journals looked pretty good so I sent it. Replaced the lifters too.

Yeah this may actually be good advice as well. So maybe worth a full diagnostic. But even at that it could very well give you another 80k miles. Just depends on how soon you'd like to blow a few grand and a lot of man hours lol.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah this may actually be good advice as well. So maybe worth a full diagnostic. But even at that it could very well give you another 80k miles. Just depends on how soon you'd like to blow a few grand and a lot of man hours lol.

My point is it's cheaper to do a cam and bearings than a whole rebuild. The longer you send shavings through a motor the less likely it is to survive without a full on rebuild.

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm intrigued by your tire rubbing issue. I have 315/75/16 tires - which are the exact same diameter as yours - and they don't rub at all on flat ground with a shorter lift (different manufacturer). If there was an easy way to move the front IFS forward just a small distance I would have no rubbing at all.

If you can find someone who knows by ear what a lifter sounds like vs. an exhaust leak you'll have a positive diagnosis in about 5 seconds. Pretty much impossible to describe long distance even with the aid of video. Ditto on the rod bearing possibility. It's a very distinctive sound that will not be confused with a lifter or exhaust leak.

I've had the same lifter problem on two different L29s. The little wire retainer that keeps the insides where they belong failed. Visual inspection with the lower intake removed is the only way to tell for sure. It's a bit of work to gain access, so I'd want to be fairly confident in my diagnosis before taking that step.

Be sure your fire extinguisher is rated for fuel. I knew a fellow who is no longer around due to a fuel fire. His passing was not peaceful or quick.

Reaction score
Yea I'm 99% sure it's a lifter. I've heard exhaust leaks, my 1500 had a rod bearing knock so I've heard that. I think it was more wishful thinking for the exhaust lol and I JUST out injectors and resealed the lower intake so I'm a little upset about coming apart again...but emotion doesn't change fact, gotta do it. One more check before I fully condemn the lifters though.
Anybody have experience with a good replacement cam? Prefer to have one that's a little better than stock but I don't know how much the computer could compensate for without a tune, or what I could pass CA emissions with. Not against tuning, just don't have the means.

Reaction score
I'm intrigued by your tire rubbing issue. I have 315/75/16 tires - which are the exact same diameter as yours - and they don't rub at all on flat ground with a shorter lift (different manufacturer). If there was an easy way to move the front IFS forward just a small distance I would have no rubbing at all

Your size is just slightly narrower than mine (less than 1/2") but I'm not sure of the backspacing on these rims. Or even if there's wheel spacers on it. Once I find the backspace I'll post it and see if I can find other rims with better specs.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I used a custom cam from Schneider out in CA. I can't speak objectively to emissions, but my nose couldn't tell a difference. Ran fine on the stock tune.

Reaction score
Some pics of the tires when turning. Still not sure of the backspacing of the rim.
You must be registered for see images attach

Took the cover off the wiper motor area and vacuumed a bunch of crud out. The firewall/cab seam had some gaps so I sealed it back up and put silicone on the two right side screws. Hopefully no more water intrusion with the storm tonight!