97 K3500 CC 454 project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Pic dump while I'm eating lunch. Lift is indeed pro comp. Are there any larger flare options for these trucks? I like the look of this tire size, but they rub bad even on flat ground. I'd like to trim to fit them but love the flares and dont want it to look like hell from cutting.
Interior is well used but not THAT bad given the 230k miles and the fact it sat so long. Missing a few pieces I'll need to hunt down in the dash. Fire extinguisher because of the fuel system work...better to be safe lol.
Still hunting the ticking/knocking sound, I'll get back on later with whatever I find.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I bought my dually with a tick. Couldn't hear it over the belts squeaking. Ended up being that it ate the cam. That's not unusual on the big blocks.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score

One more. Bed has seen better days but it's a truck soo... The tailgate is stuck closed and could use some sledgehammer massaging on the rails but it'll work!
Once you get the gate open, lubricate the snot out of it with white lithium grease. That should help a lot.

Reaction score
Depending on what's messed up, you may have to pop that plastic cover off, disconnect the rods, and tug on them with vise grips to free the latches.

Haven't got it open yet but I think it's tweaked. One side is past the latch and stuck in the "open" position while the other side is still latched and the handle won't do anything anymore. Hitting a couple stops with engine work so might fiddle with it later.

Reaction score
Still hunting the tick...I rewatched a video I took and listened to the noise, I was wrong it is present at higher RPM the engine is just loud and masks it. Flexplate is fine, didn't hear anything abnormal with a stethoscope on the valve cover, found more exhaust leaks (more bolts missing than in place!!). Even cut the old oil filter, no chunks or shavings just typical glitter. It was DIRTY tho. At this point I'm betting I'll find a lifter/cam problem when I pop the valve cover off. If that's the case not sure which way to go..
Remove and rebuild? Reman? Replace the cam? Stroker? Lol It's got 230k on it, I don't really want to just throw a cam and lifters on such a seasoned engine...if the noise is a rod bearing it will force my hand though lol
As far as exhaust leaks go, there are no broken bolts!! The PO just couldn't get the manifolds to line up and left the bolt out. The Y-pipe is butchered. New CA Y-pipe/cats are almost 1200$ so not doing that yet lol

Reaction score

phatphuck

plus sized grandpa
Reaction score
Tick or no tick I'd just drive the thing till you have an actual problem. Some/many valve trains are noisy. I mean, how loud are we talking?

What's the overall plans for this truck?