97 K3500 CC 454 project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I didn't do much shopping for black friday but found a deal! I've had a K1500 for a while now, love it but always wanted a 4x4, crew cab, 1-ton, diesel or big block to haul or tow with. This thing popped up for sale from a local tow yard, sat for a few years (was told 5) before ending up there. Made a deal with the company owner $1000 towed to my house!
Haven't fully assessed it yet, I know it's got a CEL and miss, needs some small parts I can scrounge up, front drive line, radio, ect. Moves under its own power. Body is pretty straight. Planning on tearing into it more this weekend, just thought I'd post up. I sold my K5 project a while back in hopes of funding a HD truck at some point, and I'm glad this popped up. Can't wait to drive it in all its big block, 7mpg glory
You must be registered for see images attach

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
...Made a deal with the company owner $1000 towed to my house!

NICE!

....needs some small parts I can scrounge up, front drive line...

I guess if you're missing driveshaft, CV shafts and front axle, that explains why you only paid $1000. Don't drive it without the CV shafts as they hold the hubs together. You'll destroy the bearing without the preload.

Can't wait to drive it in all its big block, 7mpg glory

You should get better than that, unless those tires are causing a drop. I'd expect 10 in town, unless you're putting your foot through the firewall constantly.

Reaction score
guess if you're missing driveshaft, CV shafts and front axle, that explains why you only paid $1000. Don't drive it without the CV shafts as they hold the hubs together. You'll destroy the bearing without the preload.

No just drive line. CV's and axle are there, tcase is there. They swapped Y-pipes at some point and apparently tossed the driveshaft. So I'll need to replace the pipe and fi d a driveshaft.

I do tend to drive like a grandma unless I get a wild hair so it'll probly be decent for the size truck.

Reaction score
Alright, bought a cheapy code scanner, undecided on what I want long-term. Not going to give my snap on guy my retirement for a home use scanner lol what would you all recommend for home use, live data, component testing scanner that won't break me?
Plugged in, only 1 code! That's the good news. Bad is it's a P0300 random misfire. Now, being it sat for 5+ years I'm going to inspect from plugs up to maf sensor and injectors. Distributor gear if I have to I hear they are common. Oil smells of fuel, my guess is an injector stuck open or bad ignition parts.