97 K3500 auto down window switch doesn't stop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I drilled out the rivets and took the regulator off the door panel today in 114 degrees. I don't know if I made a mistake or not, but I took the motor cover off when the mechanism was somewhere randomly in the middle of the stroke. The spring tension pushed the rotor out, then it shot the gear to the top of the stroke. I'm lucky I didn't lose a finger.. I cleaned and greased the worm gear and put the motor back together, then put the regulator back on the panel with 1/4 inch bolts. When everything was back in the door, the auto down button behaved differently. It would go to the bottom but not turn off. I had to hit up to make it stop. I'm pretty sure it wasn't doing that before, so I wonder if it had anything to do with the way the motor came apart. Is there a switch inside the gear housing that turns the motor off when it hits the limit? How else does the auto switch know when to stop?

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
There are no switches in the motor to my knowledge, I always figured it was amperage-draw based. Mine's relay stays engaged for about 1/2 second after the window hits the bottom... So it's possibly a coincidental failure of the auto-down circuit. But heck, a new regulator that inexpensive I'd just go for it and try it lol.

Scottm

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found the switch was sticking in the down position. I trimmed around the rocker with an exacto blade until it was completely free. I put in the Dorman regulator and it works fine, but no telling how long it will last. Probably not 25 years like the original, which was still working! Now I can hear a relay in the switch panel click on for auto down, then click off a moment after hitting bottom. So it probably is watching current draw.