97 K3500 7.4l spitting, sputtering, backfires, and stalls

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Agibson

Reaction score
Ok I finally got a chance to work on the truck. Replaced the switch wire on the the starter. It seems to run a little better so I decided to check the fuel pressure again while it's running at idle it was at about 46lbs. So question is that to low or about right. I can't seem to find a spec on it.

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's way low. Spec is 58 - 62 if memory serves, although that engine will often run just fine on a somewhat lower pressure. 46 far exceeds the engineering tolerance for the "somewhat lower" range. The fuel pressure regulator, fuel pump, and/or fuel filter are the culprits to inspect/replace as needed.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Ok I finally got a chance to work on the truck. Replaced the switch wire on the the starter. It seems to run a little better so I decided to check the fuel pressure again while it's running at idle it was at about 46lbs. So question is that to low or about right. I can't seem to find a spec on it.

That's a little low. The 454 doesn't need as much as the 350, but that's still low.... I don't know what the actual spec is for the 454.

Agibson

Reaction score
Sorry it took so long but u finally got the fuel pump in. The motor is running better now, but I think I'm having transmission issues. It shifts fine but occasionally if I step on it it just won't kick down. It picks up speed just not very fast.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Connect a scan tool, look at transmission codes and transmission data stream. I guess while you're connected, also verifying engine codes/data is wise.

Agibson

Reaction score
I know it been awhile since I last posted. But you know life gets in the way. So I put a new pcm in it and got codes P0785, P0740, and tps code. The power wire for the transmission plug was already replaced from previous owner. So I put the old pcm back in and all but the tps code went away. It has a hard shift 1st to 2nd than a soft shift to 3rd. Then it goes into OD at like 30 mph. I'm just looking for somewhere to start testing any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Agibson

Reaction score
Ok I think I finally found the problem. I put a new pigtail on the TSP and ran new wires to the ECM for the TPS. And so far it's running good and shifting smoother than it ever has