97 K1500 wont start sometimes, runs great when it starts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

klittle1417

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am ressurecting this thread...

Still haven't gotten the beast fixed. Its on plow truck duty so haven't messed with it. When she has been sitting for longer periods of time it started right up.

Still having the same issues. When I run it and let it sit for 10-12 hours it won't start. It will sputter like it misfires.

I just put another cap and rotor on. A trusted mechanic recommended AutoZone gold as it has all brass internals instead of aluminum. Didn't fix it.

Having good fuel pressure and the misfire like souttsp has me confused. If I let it sit another day it is likely to start right up.

I did put a new coil and plugs in it late last winter. I also swapped out a known good module. The one next to the coil.

klittle1417

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just pulled a plug wire and put a plug on it. Seems like I'm not getting good spark. Actually next to nothing for spark currently.

Seems odd to do it now but it will probably start later...

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just pulled a plug wire and put a plug on it. Seems like I'm not getting good spark. Actually next to nothing for spark currently.
Don't use a regular spark plug. The gap is nowhere near big enough.

Use a dedicated spark tester. There's many different styles. My favorite is this one for HEI. It has a recessed center electrode to make the air gap enormous. This same style tester is also sold in a version with a non-recessed center electrode, those are for ignition systems that have a ballast resistor--points or the old Chrysler electronic. The price has gone way up since I bought mine. Shop around.
https://www.amazon.com/OTC-6589-Ele...?keywords=Spark+tester&qid=1571842238&sr=8-11

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images