'97 K1500 Suburban Cruise Control Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck had intermittent cruise for a few weeks after I bought it then quit altogether. Over the years for other reasons I have replaced the multifunction switch and brake light switch with no change in cruise operation. Along my journey I stumbled upon a very detailed article illustrating every function (and how to check them) of each wire in the CC plug. Because I’m lazy I never went further than reading the article but I do remember it being useful :rotflmao:

Recently I pulled apart my CC module and saw perfectly flawless solder joints in it as well so I’m back to searching for said article and diagnosing from there.

You must be registered for see images attach

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check your wheel bearings… it could be an intermittent wheel speed sensor.

(I just remembered my ABS light is… missing lol)

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

I remember watching this guys videos too. He’s got all the procedures laid out.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The most suspicious connections in the module are those made with this connector.

It seems, maybe 99 times out of 100, electrical problems are due to mechanical contacts.

In older parts, old electrolytic capacitors will act up.

Dendrite formation, broken solder joints and corrosion I'll all label as "mechanical".

This isn't news to anyone.

Insert your favorite failure mode here:____________________

Last edited:

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The most suspicious connections in the module are those made with this connector.
I was suspicious of those as well. As you can see from this zoomed in shot, the far left most tab had a slight bend, (which I could’ve caused when removing the cover.) and repaired, all the connectors had witness marks on them. Everything inside the case was minty factory fresh looking.

I though about running the heat gun over the board but noticed both sides were coated in a clear epoxy?

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Can't see without further disassembly, the solder joints for the harness connector to the board. That's the #1 failure in the wiper motor; as such it would be high on my list of suspects for the cruise module as well. Not proven, just a hunch.

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was suspicious of those as well. As you can see from this zoomed in shot, the far left most tab had a slight bend, (which I could’ve caused when removing the cover.) and repaired, all the connectors had witness marks on them. Everything inside the case was minty factory fresh looking.

I though about running the heat gun over the board but noticed both sides were coated in a clear epoxy?
I’d send in Tron.

Orpedcrow

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can't see without further disassembly, the solder joints for the harness connector to the board. That's the #1 failure in the wiper motor; as such it would be high on my list of suspects for the cruise module as well. Not proven, just a hunch.

Richard
Yea I pulled the board out and looked at the opposite side. Same thing minty fresh
I’d send in Tron.
as long as he can get back out without corrupting the system

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So somewhat of an update to this...

When I was poking around under the hood months ago looking for the part number on my cruise module, I noticed that the wiring harness was twisted in sort of a weird way which seemed to be putting some tension on the connector at the module. I re-positioned it slightly but forgot about it until today. Long story short, my cruise is working again. I drove 100+ miles today and it only dropped out on me once when I hit a giant pot hole. I'm fully expecting to have to do some repairs on the module or that connector in the future, but at least now I know the general vicinity of where my problem lies. Glad I waited to buy a new multifunction switch.

Last edited: