97 k1500 manual transmission options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97gotta_get

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I have an extended cab short box 350 with 4L60E that I’m swapping to an LQ9...already replaced the reared with 14 bolt...trying to decide on transmission leaning towards an nv4500 maybe zf6? Curious if anyone else has done the auto to manual swap while swapping to an LS and what all it takes or any do’s and don’t.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you could get an NV4500 mated to an LS from the factory in 2500/35000 trucks up until the mid 2000s. Might be worth it look for one of those.

97gotta_get

Reaction score
Thank you guys! I’ll start looking for the nv4500! Any idea what transfer case will be needed for the nv4500? Pickup has the push button setup from the factory.

97gotta_get

Reaction score
That sounds easy enough! Got thinking about flywheel and clutch setups....what’s the best setup as far as clutch,slave and master cylinder? Mild LQ9 has truck norris cam and 42LB injectors nothing crazy

TreeGeared

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did a auto to NV3500 manual swap on my 88. My LQ4 has an NV4500 behind it.

Get a flywheel from a 4.8 manual engine. Depending on what you are doing with the truck do not discount an NV3500. Not as good for towing as a NV4500 but they shift smooth and are probably going to be easier to find and cheaper than a 4500. As for the bell housing for an LS, it should bolt up to an earlier one minus one bolt.

For clutch are you going internal or external slave cylinder? For mounting the master cylinder the earlier years slave has two mounting holes and the later years have more of a snap in style. Go with an earlier if you can. Also some hydraulic connections on earlier clutch master and slaves can be threaded or use an o-ring and pin. Pay attention if you are mixing parts.

97gotta_get

Reaction score
Did a auto to NV3500 manual swap on my 88. My LQ4 has an NV4500 behind it.

Get a flywheel from a 4.8 manual engine. Depending on what you are doing with the truck do not discount an NV3500. Not as good for towing as a NV4500 but they shift smooth and are probably going to be easier to find and cheaper than a 4500. As for the bell housing for an LS, it should bolt up to an earlier one minus one bolt.

For clutch are you going internal or external slave cylinder? For mounting the master cylinder the earlier years slave has two mounting holes and the later years have more of a snap in style. Go with an earlier if you can. Also some hydraulic connections on earlier clutch master and slaves can be threaded or use an o-ring and pin. Pay attention if you are mixing parts.
Transmission I found is out of an early 2000’s I believe so if my research is correct it was mated to an LS meaning the bell housing is correct and it will be internal slave? As for the master I’m not sure which to use? Father has a 96 6.5 with nv4500 so I can use it to go off of as well. Also have 3 or 4 donor pickups to get clutch and brake pedals out. I was looking at Sachs nfw1050 flywheel. Clutch I wasn’t sure if a stock one for 6.0 would hold up? I’ve been told with the cam, 243 heads, and injectors it will make 400 flywheel and another guy claimed it would be 500 honestly I don’t know till it’s together and on the dyno. Any idea on what it will make power wise for choosing a clutch that will last? Thank you for you time and knowledge!

TreeGeared

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Having a similar truck to reference certainly helps. To determine the style of bell housing an internal slave will just have an openning for the hydraulic lines to pass through. External will have a extra bulge on the lower right side of the bell to mount the slave.

As for clutch I actually used the clutch from my small block 350 since it had only about 15k on it. There are high performance clutch options out there. If you are concerned look for a clutch for a diesel or a big block application. They will be meant to hold the higher torque.