97 K1500 DD/Overlander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdnky

DOH!
Reaction score
03.16.2023 (cont...cont...cont...cont...)

Pulled the fuel supply line from the filter back to measure and build the replacement. I originally planned on using the bubble flare of the quick connect piece, but decided it was more hassle than it was worth. Also wasn't 100% sure it'd seal properly under pressure, not to mention nylon tubing is a royal pain to try and squeeze over that.

Ended up using a 10mm (3/8) nylon to steel compression fitting [$14.24 5-pack] instead. Just lopped off a bit more of the fitting first. Other end got a M16x1.5 female barb. Heated the hose in some n to quite boiling water for about 30 seconds and it slid on relatively easily. Stopped after this and I an out of light and decent weather.

You must be registered for see images attach

RUNNING TOTAL: $4574.97

Last edited:

mdnky

DOH!
Reaction score
03.16.2023 (cont...cont...cont...cont...cont...)

mdnky

DOH!
Reaction score

Painted the top side of the fuel tank. Self-etch first, then a layer of the Majic paint from TSC. Sadly, ran out of that before getting a perfect coat. Probably put a bit too much on the bottom side the other day...that turned out amazing (for being rattle can and getting misted [rain] on).

Oh well, the top is still better than nothing. I really didn't feel like running all the way there for one more mist coat, not to mention the 24-hour wait in between coats would be a schedule killer. There is some minor striping, but it's covered and you'd only see when the bed is removed. I'll it cure overnight until tomorrow afternoon, then it'll get a nice coating of FluidFilm before being installed.

Bottom side:

mdnky

DOH!
Reaction score
03.20.23 (cont...)

Did notice there's a bit more damage on the front passenger's rail than I originally thought. The inside portion of the front rail where they two meet is gone for a few inches, and there's definitely some holes in the outer portion of the rails right around the junction where the two parts meet and body mount. Also seems to be a transmission fluid leak from somewhere...oh JOY!

I made some templates from an old manilla folder, then yanked the scrap deck out from the leaves and brush with the help of a hand truck (no more fires from sparks...). I only managed to get two of the pieces cut out and cleaned up this evening before I ran out of light. I sprayed the back of them with some hi-temp BBQ paint just to get a coating on them.

Tomorrow I'll do some more cleanup, prep the frame, and weld them in. The large piece goes in-between the cab mount. Did luck out with the curve in the deck almost perfectly matching the curve in the frame. The slim piece was meant to fill the gap between where the frame sections overlap and the cab mount, so I can put a larger piece over that area. If it was 1/8" material, it'd work perfectly. I'll either use some 1/8" I have laying around, or just install this piece and do some creative/corrective grinding.

Side note: Caroni claims 9ga (4mm, 5/32"), but it is very tight fit in the 3/16" notch of my thickness gauge. Kudos to them for actually over-delivering. Also means I need to spend some time in the coming days deconstructing this deck to salvage as much usable material as possible. Definitely can find some uses for it as the price is definitely right. Checked the other (older) deck, but its sat for 20 years in the woods and is pretty much useless...definitely not worth wasting any time on.

Last edited:

mdnky

DOH!
Reaction score

Started to weld the passengers rail. Would kill for a lift and a proper shop to do this in...laying on the ground is no fun, nor does it lend itself to a comfortable position to weld from. Managed to get the first two pieces fully welded in and the second piece about 1/3 of the way, before the threat of rain made me pack everything up.

Last edited:

mdnky

DOH!
Reaction score
03.21.23 (cont...)

Had to trim the spacer for the crossmember bolt to account for the extra thickness of the material in the piece being welded in. Used a couple of clamps to hold it and zipped around 2-3mm off with the cutoff wheel.

Joy...yet another repair needed. We pushed the truck back a few feet to make it easier to reach the front rail with the welder. It was just outside of reach before and I'm already using a 40' (8ga) extension cord. All out of heavy duty cords, nor did I want to get into daisy chaining cords.

Had my father operate the brakes and everything went fine, until he put the e-brake on. For some inexplicable reason, he thinks you must literally stomp the e-brake pedal through the floor to make them function properly. Sure enough, when he did that familiar metallic pop rang out. Looks like the link clip between the rear cable and the intermediate cable broke. I'm sure I have a few in the parts box at home (900miles away). Guess I'll see if any of the local parts places stock g-style connectors.

mdnky

DOH!
Reaction score

Managed to find a break in the rain (and it dried out enough) to finish welding in the passenger's rail patch. I was planning on putting a larger piece in the front, but I'm running low on time and was racing potential bad weather. Should be much better than before. Welds aren't pretty, but they should hold. Still need to do something on the backside, but I'm not going to attempt it without getting the truck on a lift of some kind.

mdnky

DOH!
Reaction score
03.23.23 (cont...)

Primed and painted the repair to the passengers rail. Also, drilled out the rear 4 bed mount bolt holes and touched up the edges with paint.

mdnky

DOH!
Reaction score

The weather was still good after dinner, so I wanted to install the fuel tank and possibly try to get the bed back on. Unfortunately that didn't happen, due to a minor glitch in the parts for the fuel lines. Decided to replace only the rear most "flex" section of the 5/16" return line, as the rest of it's in fine condition for now (and to save time). Went to put it together, only to notice the multi-pack of Nylon to Steel compression fittings (Dorman 800-135) was mispackaged with nylon to nylon fittings. Had to run into town, but I managed to find a new properly packaged set at Advance Auto [$8.26]. Unfortunately I ran out of daylight due to the parts run. Bright side...I just need to bolt the tank back in and attach the lines. Once I give her some fuel, she should be movable under her own power again.

RUNNING TOTAL: $4583.23

Last edited: