97 K1500 DD/Overlander

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mdnky

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Been looking for (i.e. wanting) a light-use daily driver for those times I don't feel like (or can't) drive my Jeep JK. While something that gets good gas mileage would be the wise move, for some reason I just wanted another late 90s GM truck. The ability to convert it to a light-duty overloading truck is also nice, since I definitely want to do some camping trips out west. I was hoping to find a 6.5TD 1500, or possibly a CC shortbed SRW 2500/3500. However, I'm not willing to pay the prices some people think they can command for trucks in horrible shape.

I came very close to buying a 04 2500 6l Suburban, but held off due to high mileage and the overall appearance of lack of basic maintenance/care. Also found a 96 K1500 in Hammond, LA (life-long southern truck, little to no rust), but the seller was too shady and I decided to pass. Passed on another 2500 Suburban with the 8.1l...that was hard to do, until I reminded myself of the gallons per mile it would get. Although it would be nice to have something to safely tow my Jeep on my trailer and not worry about the weight (~ 7.5K to 8K loaded). I guess I can always rent one if I'm going far, or maybe sell the PJ B5 buggy hauler and buy a smaller/lighter aluminum car hauler.

I was really hoping to find something from an area that didn't salt the roads, but then I came up to Northern Kentucky for the holidays and stumbled upon a 1997 K1500 3-door Z71 with just 71K miles on the odometer for $5K. Unfortunately, it's spent most of its life in souther Indiana and definitely suffers from rust. As usual for trucks in the rust belt, the rockers and cab corners are in need of attention. The bed also has a few small spots near the wheel arches and the bed support rail. The frame definitely needed attention as well, with a lot of scale being noticed. The drivers seat bottom will need replaced, but overall the interior is in very good condition.

Mechanically the truck looked to be in good shape with no major leaks. Mileage was verified using public records (also looks correct as well). No reported wrecks or signs of any. The PO recently replaced the AC system (compressor, receiver/drier), water pump, heater hoses, and radiator recently with AC Delco parts. Transmission fluid was clean, red and didn't smell burnt. The tires are fairly new (>2yrs old) with almost full tread, albeit a bit bland (Firestone Destination LE2s). Also came with a fairly well-built Rural-King branded toolbox.

The only real issues (besides rust) was a broken flange bolt on passengers side header/downpipe, a brake/abs light, and that darn roller door pin. It did drive decent and the 4wd even worked when I tried it.

I was very close to walking away from it, but in the end I just wanted it too much and (against my better judgement) I bought it for $3700. Gave the State of Indiana another $18.78 for a 30day tag.

So this will chronicle the building, or rebuilding, of the truck. Bonus: Found the original Owners Manual, Warranty Booklet, and window sticker in the glovebox.

You must be registered for see images attach

RUNNING TOTAL: $3718.78

Last edited:

mdnky

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Weather isn't cooperating and I've lived in the Deep South for too many years now, so I sent the truck up to the local mechanic to fix the exhaust leak. There goes more $$$ [$274.20]. Probably should be ashamed with myself, especially since he just used a split flange to do the repair. Oh well, at least I wasn't crawling in/under a truck in snow/arctic like (to me) conditions.

Unfortunately the frame is in worse shape than I originally thought. Time to pull the bed and consider what to do next.

Bonus: Somehow a new dent showed up behind the drivers side fender.

RUNNING TOTAL: $3992.98

Last edited:

mdnky

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Need to pull the bed to check out the rear section of the frame better. Also need to figure out where the gas smell is coming from. Showed up after I was beating on the frame with a big ball peen hammer the other day. Not holding out alot of hope for the frame. Made a quick dirty roller cart to store/move the bed on. Will pull with some ratchet straps and an engine hoist.

Pulled the bed...not looking good for the frame at all.

Last edited:

mdnky

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ran out of daylight yesterday after pulling the bed. Definitely need to address a crack at the passengers side forward bed mount ASAP. Rest of the back is pretty ate up. Also has some rot at the bottom of the frame just behind the passengers front tire.

Need to decide on buying the RustBusters sections (~$1400 taxed/shipped), or just sourcing a rust-free donor from down south/out west (~$600, + hauling/shipping). The latter could get expensive with all those odds and ends (tie rods, ball joints, ctrl arms, bushings, brake lines, fuel lines, etc., etc.) and I'll need to find the space and time to do it (or pay someone to....quoted ~$1800 - $2000 w/new brake/fuel lines).

The tank is leaking from somewhere hidden by the shroud. Not really interested in messing with it. Ordered a new tank kit (tank, straps, pump, sender), insert, filler neck and filler hose from Rock Auto. [$337.79] Also ordered an M16x1.5 -> 1/2" adapter [$11.66] and ten feet of 1/2 rubber fuel line [$14.41]. I'll connect this to the output of the current fuel filter, then rig the pump to a battery so I can easily empty the tank (3/4 full).

RUNNING TOTAL: $4356.84

mdnky

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Build Plans:

Drivetrain
Brakes
Large-bore Master Cylinder Upgrade, Large-piston Front Calipers + EBC Stage 5 Superstreet Disc Brake Kit [S5KF1171], LSMFG Rear Disc Conversion [w/parking brake calipers] + EBC Stage 5 Superstreet Disc Brake Kit [S5KF1140], Stainless Brake Lines, Wilwood 570 Fluid
SuspensionBilstein Shocks, Leveling Keys, Rear Add-A-Leaf, Firestone RideRite 2025
Tires255/75-17 (BFG AT KO2s)
Wheels17x7.5 Z71 (GM15766001) or 5-spoke (GM9596050)
EngineMobil-1 5W30 Synthetic, Mobil-1 EP Filter, WIX Air Filter, ACDelco Wires & Platinum Plugs, DexCool Flush
TransmissionDrain and Fill w/WIX Filter, ACDelco Dexron VI, Deep Pan Upgrade, Cooler Upgrade
ExhaustJBA Cat4ward Shorty Headers [1832SJT], Pacesetter Cats [324118], stainless tubing, Borla ProXS mufflers
ElectricalDual NAPA Legend AGM Batteries, BlueSea Systems ML-ACR, Schumacher SP-400 Solar Battery Charger + SPC-7A Solar Charge Controller, Big3 Upgrade, Renogy 1000W 12V Pure Sine Wave Inverter
AirYork210 EDC, Air Lift Performance 11956 Aluminum Air Tank x 2

Audio - New Option
HeadunitKenwood Excelon DMX958XR
DSP/Main AmpHelix M SIX DSP
Front Channel (400Hz @ 24dB)CDT Unity 8+ [A+B]
MidbassDayton Audio RS180-4 [C+D] (90-350Hz, 24dB)
Sub (80Hz @ 24dB)Dayton Audio RSS210HO-4 [E/F Bridged], custom enclose in new ctr console
MiscOFC Wiring, lots of sound deadening

Audio - OldSchool Option
Headunit*stock*
DSPMiniDSP C-DSP 8x12 V2.0
Amp 1Boston Acoustics GT-50
Amp 2Boston Acoustics GT-22
3-way Front ChannelBoston Acoustics SL-60 Tweeters (10K, 24dB LR) [GT50 A+B]
CDT Audio Unity 7.5 (350Hz-10K Hz, 24dB LR) [GT50 C+D]
Boston Acoustics SL-60 Woofers (90-300Hz, 24dB LR) [GT22 A+B]
SubBoston Acoustic G510-44 [GT50 E]

Exterior

BedCustom-built Aluminum Rack System
From Bumper/Winch MountRough Country Hidden Winch Mount, custom linkage setup for winch (MileMarker HI9000) or BlueLakeOffroad Bumper
TBATBA

Interior

SeatsReplace front lower covers with new all-leather units
Center ConsoleReplace w/custom built unit housing down-firing sub near dash and secure lockbox in rear
HeadlinerRecover with Lt.Grey alcantara or grey plaid

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had that same color truck 20+ years ago. 2500HD, fully loaded, 454/auto, miss that truck. Prolly rotted by now, or in a junkyard or a new Pruis. It's crazy the prices of trucks, let alone everything, but that doens't seem too bad a deal. I absolutely love CCSB's, I now have 2. I looked forever to find one, then the stars aligned and traded a Yukon for one, then month later found one in CT that couldn't pass up for $2300. Looks like a good build, always love pics....

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
I think that's a heck of a deal for what you got; low mileage, nice paint option, and leather seats/highly optioned/Z71 package. Top of the line for '97. You could do a frame swap, body work, interior redo, and freshen up everything and still be into it for less than I bought my truck for two years ago (provided the engine is still good). Nice truck!

Last edited:

mdnky

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dropped the old tank. Loosened the fuel line at the output side of the fuel filter. Connected 10' of 1/2" rubber fuel hose using a M16x1.5 to 1/2" barb fitting. Ran the other end to my father's old 88 C1500 that was just under 1/2 full. Removed the fuel relay and put a jumper from 30 to 87. Took a couple of minutes, but got it pretty much empty.

Looks like I will be doing fuel lines as well...those connections at the sender were hopelessly rusted. The tubing broke while trying to loosen. Need the truck to be movable under its own power, so I'll most likely do a quick temporary run to the filter with some nylon or rubber. When I do the frame swap, I'll decide on going full nylon, or buying bulk NiCopp tubing to bend/flare.

RUNNING TOTAL: $4356.84