97 Chevy Steering wheel upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gnixon

Reaction score
I have a 97 regular cab stepside and would like to change my wheel. The reason I want to change it is that it is very uncomfortable to drive because the wheel is too close to my body and a little too large in diameter and because it is a regular cab, the seats don't go back far enough. If I could install a different wheel like you did that sits just a little farther away from me, it would make a huge difference in my comfort when driving. Also I will plan to remove my 60/40 bench seat and add buckets from a donor truck from the same year. I will have a shop recover the new seats in leather. If I can do all this, I think the truck would be very sweet indeed.

I have a couple of questions if you would be so kind to answer.

1. What is the depth of your new C6 wheel from the face to the bottom where it meets the column?

2. What is the outside diameter of the C6 wheel.

3. Did the airbag work after your modification and were you able to get the volume controls on the new wheel to work?

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it and look forward to your assistance.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
I just did this swap with a wheel from a 2000 Deville. Swapping the stub shaft, everything bolted up including the airbag coil. I believe the airbag could be made to work by installing the truck's connector onto the Deville coil, though I don't intend to use it.

shownshine55

Reaction score
Sooooo......I need a quick fix for my 99 C3500. No air bag, no radio controls, nothing too fancy. Has someone already proven that a NBS steering wheel is not a direct bolt in for an OBS? I can go fancier later when I have the time and energy.

brocks 97

Reaction score
So did the stereo controls work for you, or do you think they would work? I think you have done a great job on this write up. I am really down for this project I was currently planning the lower column u joint mod. My project just got larger.

Scottydc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sooooo......I need a quick fix for my 99 C3500. No air bag, no radio controls, nothing too fancy. Has someone already proven that a NBS steering wheel is not a direct bolt in for an OBS? I can go fancier later when I have the time and energy.
I have no idea about 3500s

So did the stereo controls work for you, or do you think they would work? I think you have done a great job on this write up. I am really down for this project I was currently planning the lower column u joint mod. My project just got larger.
Funny thing is, I'm actually using the buttons for a 2-Step controller and possibly later a transbrake and paddle shifting when I upgrade to a 4l80e So I've never even gotten around to checking them for radio purposes lol But to answer your question, yes the buttons work.

brocks 97

Reaction score
That's awesome man I have found the wheel I like is the one from a chevy cruze I am going to try to get that wheel to work in my truck just other priorities at this time.

Reaction score
No dice for a simple swap... The splines are different and smaller. I've read where people have been able to swap the upper steering column shafts from a later model and make it work. GM Part number 26074286 is the shaft needed. This is confirmed in F-body installs and S-10s so far according to the net... Apparently GM used the same upper shafts for many different models and they interchange. I hope to find one and try it out. Fingers crossed that it works.. It does look good in there. :)

You must be registered for see images attach

Hopefully this thread is not dead. Scottydc, I have a 95-98 Silverado myself looking to swap the Suede ZL1 steering wheel w/paddle shifters. Any pointers you could give? What websites to view part #s?

95SUBURBANLM7

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Scotty, great damn write up! Very impressed with your inginuity. I’m going to be looking to do the same swap, but I want to find the the heated steering wheel. With your info, this looks doable.

John Cunningham

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a wrap, it was a fun project. Now onto a leather interior. :)

Beautiful job........you should be selling kits to do this!